fluid sound behind dash

NVRover

Apr 20, 2004
Broken Arrow, OK
I have a 96 D1 and when I accelerate or decelerate I hear what sounds like fluid pouring or sloshing around behind my dash. It's really odd. Anyone have similar experience, and if so do you know what it is? Thanks

S

Steve83

Get underneath & look up beside the transmission. You'll see a black rubber nipple pointing down on each side with a + shape cut into it and a tuft of lint hanging off it. Move your head so you're not directly under it, and pull it out. Water should pour down. Do both sides.

mikeyb

Jun 18, 2004
Dallas
prolly your a/c drain tubes are stopped up and the condensation has no where to go. look under the truck, sort of straight under the dash, for two tubes with (ahem) nipples. (ahem) carefully squeeze the (ahem) nipples. i say carefully because if they are needing the attention i think they are needing, you will get an instant and somewhat messy reward.

bon chance

-m

ps...last time i was in laughlin...29 palms went all earthquakey. very shakey it was.

NVRover

Apr 20, 2004
Broken Arrow, OK
Melissa, yes it is a gurgling sound..thank you that is a more accurate description. If you experienced the same, was your solution the same as others have suggested?

I'll check the A/C condensation drains. I hadn't considered those because last time those got clogged they just flooded my floor boards, I didn't recall hearing the gurgling at that time. But like I said, I'll check them again.

By the way Steve, I'm a native Memphian (born and raised). I'm out here by way of Nashville and Birmingham.

Thanks guys (and gal) for your help!

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
Chris I agree with Andrew..Sounds like *maybe* a coolant leak. Top it off and see how it goes..Could be a heater core leak. Maybe watch and see too if your loosing coolant and at what rate.(ie a cup every 500-1000 miles). Melissa

W

WDA

I had same problem

My 99 Disco II had the same problem/noise, turns out ther was a pin hole in my radiator.

Greg French

Sep 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
I noticed that a few weeks ago. I know my AC drain is working, as there is always a puddle of water under it when it is on. I had a coolant bottle leak. I replaced the bottle and haven't noticed the noise recently.

Although, I DID just change the discs in my player, so it has been too loud to hear anything.

S

Silent Z

I am hearing a water flowing sound when I start up my car and head out that is coming from the same place...around the glovebox in my Disco II. Could this also be an issue with the A/C drain? If so, are the (ahem) nipples in the same relative place on the DIIs?

Also, lemme get this straight...when I do find the (ahem) nipples, I should start slow with some light caressing or soft pinching to get them started? :D

Sorry...I couldn't help myself.

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
Downward spiral...Come on Big Tex Men Lets Keep it Clean :) :) And to think I was going to come wheeling with you 'dirty' Texas boys..:)
Back to topic: Rush of water, gurgle on start up I have been told is the signs of a coolant leak..Are you loosing coolant Silent Z? *Possible* heater core leak, or maybe the cooler lines.

S

ShermanAZ

Gurgling Noise Behind Dash

I had the same problem on a '95. Try opening the heater core by turning Temp to hot on both sides while running. Top off coolant in expansion tank.

NVRover

Apr 20, 2004
Broken Arrow, OK
Thanks for your help. I checked the coolant expansion tank (I think that's what it's called) and noticed it was way below the "full" line. So, if I understand your instructions I should fill it up with the 50/50 water/coolant mixture (according to the owners manual), leave the cap off, crank up the heat, and watch the level rise or fall? Shouldn't take too long to heat up, it's still 105 degrees here. :(

Also, one other question, do is it okay to use tap water or is distilled water best? I've never done this before so I don't want to mess the cooling system up. Thanks again for your feedback and direction.

S

Steve83

At this point, you can just add tap water until it's full. Then cap it, heat it up, and look for the leak. When you find it, you'll probably be draining the coolant anyway, so drain it all out, and THEN refill it with the proper mix. No need to waste money or effort now.

S

Silent Z

RoverChic said:
Downward spiral...Come on Big Tex Men Lets Keep it Clean :) :) And to think I was going to come wheeling with you 'dirty' Texas boys..:)
Back to topic: Rush of water, gurgle on start up I have been told is the signs of a coolant leak..Are you loosing coolant Silent Z? *Possible* heater core leak, or maybe the cooler lines.

Not loosing coolant. I would have went out and messed with it today but the Cowboys were playing. After watching that sorry performance I wish I would have worked on my truck.

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
Silent Z said:
Not loosing coolant. I would have went out and messed with it today but the Cowboys were playing. After watching that sorry performance I wish I would have worked on my truck.
ha ha ..The Cowboys have never been the same since my boy Switz left (just kidding). Back to topic: Well Mike if your sure that your not losing coolant, I am @ loss as to what could be making a water/gurgle noise? Maybe you should try the whole A/C drain plug nipple thing ..Who knows maybe the truck just needs some loving??
Melissa N
1998 D1

S

Silent Z

RoverChic said:
ha ha ..The Cowboys have never been the same since my boy Switz left (just kidding). Back to topic: Well Mike if your sure that your not losing coolant, I am @ loss as to what could be making a water/gurgle noise? Maybe you should try the whole A/C drain plug nipple thing ..Who knows maybe the truck just needs some loving??
Melissa N
1998 D1

A Switzer fan?! Now I know you are a true Okie!

I have a Disco love fest planned for this week when my new brakes/rotors come in so I'll probably give her nipples some attention then.