Mar

D

D Chapman

V22Guy said:
Hey Dan, Just trailer in that refridgerator that's on your front porch!
Man, I got to bleach that thing out or something. I shot like three deer one night and had all the meat packed in that thing. One of my dogs must have bumped the cord or something, and it came unplugged. It may have been that damn roster too, who knows...Anyway, all that meat rotted, and stinks to High Heaven. It's been that way for like 3 weeks now in this 95 degree plus heat. If anyone is in the area, I could use some help moving that thing. The flies are getting bad. :eek:

Garrett,
Why are you busting on my couch and Mt. Dew habit? My great-grandmother gave me that couch. I just had is pressure washed too, so no, it does not smell anymore. And the Mt. Dew keeps my sperm count low. Now that my meat supply is gone, I can barley feed the grimblens I got now...

draaronr

Apr 20, 2004
wilmington, nc
I helped recover that and couldn't believe someone rolled it where he did. Definately driving too fast. Some folks behind even went off the trail once he was recovered because they were paranoid they'd roll too, even though there was zero chance of rolling.
As an aside, once he had it running it was obviously blowing smoke like crazy so I suggested he pull over at the edge of the meadow and stop it, so he didn't gas everyone in their tents. Of course he ignored me.

I call bs on that one. First of all it was recovered by a FLRC member who is a personal friend of the driver, so I will not publicly say names, I was the one who drove it out since he was slightly intoxicated at the time, so if you said it you said it to me who was sober.

It was amazing the amount of armchair quarterbacks on this thing.

Originally Posted by Roverlady
You mean this one? If so....I was there for that! About 3 cars behind....STUPID

Once again more bullshit. Look I was there for the incident was he going to fast, yes, was he going 25mph, no, just too fast for that spot in those conditions, in his condition. It was an extremely slow rollover, and there was absolutely nobody around at the time, I mean no one, so don't act like you were 3 cars back and saw it happen, the car landed on its back and rested there, (I bet none of you saw that did you? How do I know we pushed it over by hand before anyone arrived.) Now my question is if a rover is on it's back and 4 guys can push it over by hand, either we had our wheaties or the angle of the hill is steeper than people want to admit.

I notice no one mentions the guy in the 109 that rolled on that trail, I doubt he was going to fast.

in closing, should the guy have been driving no, was he a dumbass, yes- but don't act like you know what happened or you were there, that bullshit is irritating. If you all would like a full description I will give a speech at Mar this year, with pictures of the entire event.

D

D Chapman

LOL Aaron.... Does not really matter how he rolled. It was very irresponsible on his part, your part as his friend, and who ever was with him at the time. If the dude was so drunk, why was he driving in the first place? Sure, I bet 50% of the MAR attendees drank beer, and drove the trails at some point with a BAC of over .01....But to roll on that particular trail takes some skill.

I was not there for the 109 rollover, but what I hear is he lost his brakes, or could not get them pumped enough to stop, while another truck was coming up on him. He had to cut the wheel to avoid the collision, and ended up sideway on an incline...Still..Takes some skill to do that, but it was a better wreck than what was about to happen..

Maybe it's because of you friend, MAR fees may be increased, and more enforcement is nessarry...Tell your friend Thanks!

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
To defend my 'quote' I said I was there to see it wrecked....I was not there when it rolled...but I was about 3 people back when they were finally able to pull it out of the woods.....watched it get moved (if driven by you, then fine) and talked to some people about what happened. My husband also ended up with a guy in his truck who was riding with him at the time and was scared to death. I also talked to the guy the next morning when we were inspecting the damage and he was laughing about what he was going to tell his wife, and how well the pelican cases took the weight.

Either way, he was drunk and shouldn't have been driving, especially not that fast and on that trail. THAT I will continue to defend.

I heard the same thing about the 109-lost his brakes...etc.

S

syoung

The 109 lost a brake line- If I remember correctly he was shifting the t-case when the brakes went soft and couldn't then use the engine to slow down or stop the truck. He chose the softest looking trees and stuffed it for the safety of the people down the hill (and himself, I'm sure). In my opinion, the guy did a great job- and he didn't bitch once about the damage... he had a smile on his face the whole time and was just happy nobody was hurt- class act.

One thing though- we DON'T want to have to wander around with a breathalyzer and a deputy during MAR. Let's all just try to be responsible adults. Yes, it's fun to have a few- it's fun to even get a buzz going and debate politics... just finish up the driving for the day first. If it becomes a problem, the trails will be closed at 11PM when the "quiet time" begins.

Steve

Apr 20, 2004
Eastern Shore of MD
I must admit, there is more preparation and talk of bad behavior than actual occurances. How many places can you get that large a group together and not have a major incident?

On the brake line... I lost one of mine and reversed down a trail at night. Some hairy shit but thats because I was high on Meth and Jack Daniels. You know? Floaties may have helped.

D

D Chapman

Trails closed at 11PM???? WTF? Your going to dump 300+ truck into 300 acres, and limit the trail use to 7am to 11pm???? The damn traffic does not die down till about 9pm.... I really think thats a bad idea!!

I'm not complaining, and really I could care less. But, I don't think thats a good thing. But I can tell you this....If I get on the trail at noon, and there is 10 other trucks with no winch, no lockers, no mud tires going the wrong way on high Dollar Hill, I'm gonna get pissy :D

D

D Chapman

V22Guy said:
Dan, I think it's because lippy people like you, Steve will have to enfore a time-out.
Well, that's just one thing that make's MAR so fun...The night opps. Hell, was it that big of a problem last year with trucks on the trail after 11PM? I slept good.....and I was camped at the corner of three trail heads, and a major driveway to the upper field.

The 11:00 rule sounds a little crazy to me....But, it's not my property.

D

D Chapman

Maybe I miss read, Steve.....After looking again, you stated that "If it becomes a problem, the trails will be closed at 11PM"....That reasonable....

Steve

Apr 20, 2004
Eastern Shore of MD
Night Ops are a must. I know Paul isn't going to drive all that way and not leave the wife and kid tucked into their tent for a bit of late night recon.

D

D Chapman

I'm gonna reserve you tent spot right next to me, Paul. Right between Neal....Your gonna have such a good time!

cptyarderho

Apr 23, 2004
Va
the 109 lost a hard brake line. He rolled back and into the trees with no brakes, not driver error.

S

syoung

Dan- If you see someone without the proper equipment heading in to a trail- go talk to them. If they give you the "FU" attitude, get on the radio to the MAR Staff and someone will be sent to deal with it so you don't have to. There will be better difficulty markings this year and we will do a better job of explaining the meanings of the ratings too.
Last year was messed up because the trail ratings changed almost hourly... all the signs I pre-made two weeks prior were useless.

There really isn't a lot of bad behavior at MAR at all. We plan for the worst, but we have always been pleasantly surprised after it's all done. My worst nightmare would be a serious injury out there in the sticks. Rolling a vehicle can be just a bummer OR if someone isn't wearing a seat belt it can mean death. I saw *some* people acting stupid and hopefully those people won't be back- nobody knew them and their Disco was so ragged out that it's probably not still working.

And you're correct, I didn't say the trails close at night- but if something really bad happens or it gets out of hand with the drinking, that would be the only safe way to shut people down till they sleep it off.

D

D Chapman

I don't care if someone want to try a harder trail in a mild Rover. Hell, I'll take them by the hand and show them whats up...I think that adds to the experece of MAR. If something gets sticky, I can get them out. Nomar and I did this for hours one day on East River trail...Damn that got nasty.

But, the folks who jet off on there own and get stuck on a trail they should never be on gets kinda old. I don't mind helping at all, but sometimes you just feel like riding some trail. I don't really think there is anything you can do about it, really. That's just why I like the night runs so much..

draaronr

Apr 20, 2004
wilmington, nc
First of all I am not defending my friend, he was a jackass, and Dan it is easy for you to tell us we shouldn't have let him drive, but once again you weren't there were you.

As for the poor sap in the 109 I guess he should be bastardized for having faulty equipment before running the trail.

As for the law enforcement it is for drunk driving, and so the marshall's don't have to get in a scuffle with people. I for one think it is great, hell this year we can have a breathalizer and an equipment inspection at all the trail heads.

As for the increased fee this year, Talk to the Adamson's about that tree on the house and the dozier, not to mention how much ROAV banks every year from this, I say it is mostly simple greed and I am a memeber of ROAV before you run off at the mouth.