AR15/M4 Muzzlebreak/Compensator/Flash hider discussion

stolenheron

May 1, 2008
Hattiesburg, MS
I'm not new to guns (very experienced with hunting/plinking long guns, Sporting clays, hog hunting, and am always increasing my proficiency with sidearms), but I'm fairly new to ARs. I've had my Daniel Defense DDM4 for a few months now, I love it. It comes standard with an A2 style birdcage flash hider.

I was wondering who has upgraded their flash hiders or gone to muzzle brakes/compensators.

the .223 doesn't kick much, but with a factory trigger and a little bit of giddiness on the trigger, I can definitely see my shots climb. I couldn't give a sh** about the "tacticool" "looks" factor of the break. Function is greater than form with this sorta thing. I'm not an "operator", military, or a zombie hunter.

I havent tried anyone else's rifle with aftermarket brakes installed. So I'm hesitant to purchase one.

-Did you upgrade to a different style flashhider or did you go with a brake?
-which brakes have you shot?
-How is the noise comparison?
-How is the recoil reduction?
-Do you actually get what you pay for (ex. $35 RRA brake vs a $100 brake)

thoughts to keep in mind-
  1. main purpose of the gun is for fun and pounding targets (accurately on irons, down the road with a red dot).
  2. secondary purpose, will go hog hunting with it if I get the chance (I used to use my remington .22 mag, but the .223 will be much better suited). Where I hog hunt, it isn't about trophy boar, it's about eradication. Goal is to hit all 5 hogs, if a little group of them trots out of the palmettos. They are quick to run when a twig snaps, but there is a 50/50 chance that they freeze instead of taking flight when a gun shot goes off (they are clever, but they arent that intelligent lol). I guess if I am good enough with keeping my shots accurate on them while they are moving, the increased noise wont matter.

Rugbier

Jun 17, 2008
People's Republic of Marylandistan
Chris,

If you want to improve the AR ( already a very nice rifle ) change your FCG. I have Timney and McCormick, both excellent.

I wouldn't worry about the Flash Hider / Compensator ( In my opinion a waste of $$$ )

And if you want to go the extra mile, change your BCG to M16 Full Auto one ( totally legal per ATF ).

As for getting those pesky pigs, not sure if you do this already but try reverse sweeping on 5 or 10 steel targets
( start at first target on your right and finish on your left as you walk from left to right - cross shooting - will help you manage your windage and motion to your point of aim/point of entry ) Not that I know anything about this

Last edited:

stolenheron

May 1, 2008
Hattiesburg, MS
you do like the timney trigger? what is your best "bang for buck" trigger setup?

Im not a huge fan of hair pins, but something in the middle ground would be nice. If avoiding more noise and concussion can be avoided, that would preferred. An adjustable trigger setup would be very convenient.

That is basically how you have to shoot the pigs. ex. http://www.huntsflorida.com/web-dev/general-images/boar/Wild_Boar_Range_Photo-02.jpg
i know that is a small pic, but you can see how they may sit in a group. 1 or 2 sows, maybe an immature boar, and a bunch of piglets spread out and foraging. I've used a remington .22mag model 597 with a bushnell low light level scope for them in the past. I've always taken a shot on the one I know I can get first, preferably a sow (unless I see a monster boar), assess it through the scope, look for the next "easiest" shot, and so on and so forth. With my little 8 or 9 + 1 .22magnum I've managed to put down 3 out of 5 in a group of pigs within a 6 or 7 second window, standing with shots ranging from 40 yards up to about the 60 mark as they were running away.

Mind you, I do not hunt from stands or blinds for hogs. I am walking the forest the entire time (quietly) so I'm on their plane, I don't have the luxury of shooting them from a birds eye view, but I have the ability to run after them if I need to.

Its estimated you have to kill 75% of a litter to keep the population stable, so you're always going to lose unless you have full auto or an M203 haha.

In the end my gun is NOT being built for pig hunting, that is just a side job I'd like to do with it the next time I head back down to my friend's farming properties and cattle lands back home in Florida. I maybe go once a year.

Rugbier

Jun 17, 2008
People's Republic of Marylandistan

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
msggunny said:
x3...that's why I was bad today at the gun show and got one of these just to play with:
http://www.hk22rimfire.com/index.php?page=mp5-sd
I gotta say, I am impressed with the fit/finish/feel...it's damn near identical to the ones I've played with at work.

Oh, and germane to the original post-I've never put much stock in the flash hider/compensator on the AR...they all pretty much do the same given the round we're talking about.
r-
Ray

stolenheron

May 1, 2008
Hattiesburg, MS
Lol no mp5s at this point. I didn't buy the rra comp today.

I got a Rossi 410/22 combo on a trade (for a gun sight) and bought my girl a brand new Ruger 10/22 today for valentines day.

If it isn't going to do a whole ton, then I will leave the flash hider alone on the AR and work on other things with the AR and some of my other guns.