Definitive parts list for D2 inline thermostat modification?

Jon K

Jan 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
I know, I know "search"

Except the threads are getting really congested and I am having a hard time figuring out who used what.

I get the Meziere Enterprises WN0071 thermostat housing. I know I need a "chevy v8 180F thermostat" (part number from summit would be AWESOME...anyone?!) and a BMW hose 11531436408. But what else?! The glow shift adapter thinger with the petcock - where do people get that?

Maybe we can just have "This is a thread with PN#'s and everyone can order the stuff and rock and roll". Trying to avoid things like "Go to Napa and get a ..." because I don't have NAPA's near me that are open for more than a couple days a week and or well-stocked.

Thanks guys!

Jon K

Jan 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
JohnB said:

Yah I just stumbled across that. The thing that's annoying is he says "get a 180* thermostat"

Well... k, but a PN# would be nice!

I love buying online because I am so busy - I would love for the right stuff to just show up and I can do this one day.

FWIW - the thermo housing and the Glowlite adapter are on Amazon, the thermo housing is Amazon Prime eligible which means free 2-day shipping on prime members:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NDFEC0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UOAW5E

Street

Jan 30, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
Jon K said:
Yah I just stumbled across that. The thing that's annoying is he says "get a 180* thermostat"

Well... k, but a PN# would be nice!

I love buying online because I am so busy - I would love for the right stuff to just show up and I can do this one day.

FWIW - the thermo housing and the Glowlite adapter are on Amazon, the thermo housing is Amazon Prime eligible which means free 2-day shipping on prime members:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NDFEC0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UOAW5E

If you get the Meziere inline thermostat housing, it takes one of the most common and widely available thermostats, one for a Chevy 350.

Meziere even lists a few for sale on the bottom of the housing page-

http://www.meziere.com/ps-571-0-WN0071.aspx

Jon K

Jan 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
StreetWolf said:
If you get the Meziere inline thermostat housing, it takes one of the most common and widely available thermostats, one for a Chevy 350.

Meziere even lists a few for sale on the bottom of the housing page-

http://www.meziere.com/ps-571-0-WN0071.aspx

Yeah I know - I just got the unit from Amazon to save a trip out. I guess I'll swing by Advanced and get a Corvette t-stat

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s&field-keywords=Chevy+350+thermostat&x=0&y=0

Which would you think?

I threw this one in the cart:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C848Q2

I should now have all the parts needed inbound. The only thing I didn't get from Amazon was the hose because I have a BMW resource (since that's my forte).

Last edited:

Street

Jan 30, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
Jon K said:
Yeah I know - I just got the unit from Amazon to save a trip out. I guess I'll swing by Advanced and get a Corvette t-stat

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s&field-keywords=Chevy+350+thermostat&x=0&y=0

Which would you think?

I threw this one in the cart:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C848Q2

I should now have all the parts needed inbound. The only thing I didn't get from Amazon was the hose because I have a BMW resource (since that's my forte).

Me, living in Texas where it will occasionally get into the teens, temperature wise during the winter, and regularly 100+ in the summer. I run the 180, with no ill effects even on the coldest of days. However even the 195 would be a major improvement over the factory setup, and might be best for you.

Either one you choose, be sure to also take the time to drill it.

Just a small hole, which allows a small flow of coolant to circulate at all times, preventing a sudden "rush" of cold coolant into your hot engine, preventing hairline cracks. I run this set up both on my Disco and my supercharged car. It's highly effective.
drilledstatx1600.jpg

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
Jon K said:
Din't read the thread didja?

Getting rid of the lousy LR designed thermostat.
I read it. I don't believe the inline shit is needed.
I gave you a listing for a 180 degree tstat without doing all the useless shit.

Jon K

Jan 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
StreetWolf said:
Me, living in Texas where it will occasionally get into the teens, temperature wise during the winter, and regularly 100+ in the summer. I run the 180, with no ill effects even on the coldest of days. However even the 195 would be a major improvement over the factory setup, and might be best for you.

Either one you choose, be sure to also take the time to drill it.

Just a small hole, which allows a small flow of coolant to circulate at all times, preventing a sudden "rush" of cold coolant into your hot engine, preventing hairline cracks. I run this set up both on my Disco and my supercharged car. It's highly effective.
drilledstatx1600.jpg

Yes thanks I drill all of my conventional thermostats (in my BMWs). It also helps for bleeding!

We live in similar temperature deltas so I am going with 180.

In the BMW, the thermostat goes into the front of the motor and blocks the motor off from the coolant so the water pump basically just circulates the cold water in the radiator loop. On the DII setup mod, does the water pump just pump against the closed thermostat?

@ Rovercanus - I dunno man, I feel like driving around with a car that idles over 208F is less than ideal. I'd rather have a normal thermostat setup, so that's what I am doing.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
rovercanus said:
I read it. I don't believe the inline shit is needed.
I gave you a listing for a 180 degree tstat without doing all the useless shit.

you're wasting your time. fwiw, i tried 17 light switches and the bulb still only drew 2 amps....how do i get the light to shine brighter? try another switch or add more current?

Jon K

Jan 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
seventyfive said:
you're wasting your time. fwiw, i tried 17 light switches and the bulb still only drew 2 amps....how do i get the light to shine brighter? try another switch or add more current?

You should get a switch that makes full contact. Not just when your hand is touching it.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
Jon K said:
You should get a switch that makes full contact. Not just when your hand is touching it.

you do understand the bypass circuit is only during warm up, once the status open it deadheads flow thru the upper hose into the rad? with a drop in 180 stat (which has a spring a baby can press down), comes up to operating temp quicker than my wife's 528.

just yes or no, do you think the bypass spring is always 'in play' at operating temp? just answer yes or no.
im not saying you don't know what you are talking about, so put that shit aside, just answer yes or no, is the bypass circuit always in play, even when the stat is open?

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
and the reason I'm so adamant about something as simple as this t-stat is simple. i wrench 10 hours a day, time to time i do what whoever built your e34 does, we have dozens of customers who trust us to set their track car up......im not guessing at shit. basic theory of operation is a must and thinking one of us can redesign what some phd in a lab coat came up with is just plain ridiculous.

OR you post a picture of a shackle and some guy throws a machinists handbook at you EVEN though the biggest knuckleheads on the east coast have abused the living shit out of them and they haven't failed. but what do we know we have only TRIED to destroy them and they haven't.

OR you post a 4 link set up, and some guy argues the watts link set up does not limit your suspension.

if you want to deviate and spend more money than the $50 bucks from justin on a drop in stat, then by all means do it. but what are you really gaining? keep in mind I'm not trying to toot my own horn, i just hate seeing someone waste their fucking time or listen to people who really don't understand what they are talking about. i read about 10 or so pages of your write up on that e34 build, so i assume you aren't dumb. don't understand the unicorn avatar though?

Last edited:

Jon K

Jan 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
seventyfive said:
you do understand the bypass circuit is only during warm up, once the status open it deadheads flow thru the upper hose into the rad? with a drop in 180 stat (which has a spring a baby can press down), comes up to operating temp quicker than my wife's 528.

just yes or no, do you think the bypass spring is always 'in play' at operating temp? just answer yes or no.
im not saying you don't know what you are talking about, so put that shit aside, just answer yes or no, is the bypass circuit always in play, even when the stat is open?
You're looking for me to confirm that the bypass is only involved in warm up, but that's not entirely true considering the bypass plate has 4 holes in it, which flows less but it also flows. As the thermostat opens it pushes the entire sprung assembly up against the top neck of that thermostat housing, "sealing it off" (kind of). The point is just that at idle it does a balancing act between the main thermostat spring and the bypass thermostat spring. That means that this thermostat needs to have two things going for it - 1) the primary winding needs to work reliably and 2) the sprung bypass block off plate needs to have it's winding working reliably.

I am honestly not sure what my cars issue is - it could be some whacky head or block issue pressurizing my cooling system for all I know (but hope not). All I know is the one side of my thermostat was hot and the other was cold, and one side of my radiator was hot and the other was cold and I need to replace the thermostat (I assume!). So, people are reporting MUCH BETTER idling and running temperatures with the modded setup - I'll go with that.

Also FWIW I built my E34 and though I am not a mechanic by trade, I've engineered a thing or two. I have my hand in just about every > 500 rwhp BMW in the states and UK and have tuned dozens. I know allllllll about cooling systems (I have a 4" thick intercooler in front of a stock BMW radiator with no mechanical fan and produce 800 BHP, you do the math lol).

The LR thermostat, by design, sucks. It does - it supposedly offers faster cabin warm up in exchange for complexity, performance, and poor reliability. These trucks are idling way hot for my blood and people report that the aftermarket setups fix it. Could moving to a lower stock config t-stat fix it too? Maybe! But after I do this I can go to advanced and throw a chevy 350 thermostat in it vs shipping some hard to find 180F replacement from over seas.

I don't need to get in a pissing match with anyone but I don't see how this setup is a bad thing. There's really nothing that it hurts by doing it. And, if it ends up that my trucks issue is not a bad thermostat (though honestly...OT, if one side is hot and the other side is cold... how can it not be? right?) then I can always go back to the stock setup. It's totally reverse-able.

If the engineers were so right why did BMW coat cylinder bores in Nikasil to only have them fail and LR use a motor with set sleeves that drop? Sometimes it's not all about doing it right, but doing it cheap and practical.

Last edited:

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
the answer is yes, the bypass is only in play when the stat is closed.

as for your sloshing issue, look at this way. why do m62 motors have more issues than any of the straight sixes? because the crossover pipes and valley, metal doesn't collapse under vacuum so you need to lift the front up while you vacuum bleed them, same as a rover somewhat. we have had trucks that took over a half hour to vacuum bleed completely.
if you are getting exhaust gas in the cooling system it shouldn't take too long to start blowing hoses.
start with vacuum bleeding it, and make sure you have a 2 gallon jug of coolant ready when you force the coolant in.
make sure your aux fan isn't seized up, and make sure your clutched fan is working. pull the grill real quick or put a long screwdriver in there and make sure the fan moves, or jump 12 volts to it, the connector is accessible with the grill removed.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
Jon K said:
If the engineers were so right why did BMW coat cylinder bores in Nikasil to only have them fail and LR use a motor with set sleeves that drop? Sometimes it's not all about doing it right, but doing it cheap and practical.

we've only seen a small amount of motors lose the silicone when overheated. we had one that looked like someone put stop leak in the cooling system, but it was still okay.

bmw/rover kept the sleeve design because bmw wanted out of rover and didn't feel like putting more money in development. the most reliable motor in a rover was the m62 in the l322.

Jon K

Jan 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
seventyfive said:
the answer is yes, the bypass is only in play when the stat is closed.

as for your sloshing issue, look at this way. why do m62 motors have more issues than any of the straight sixes? because the crossover pipes and valley, metal doesn't collapse under vacuum so you need to lift the front up while you vacuum bleed them, same as a rover somewhat. we have had trucks that took over a half hour to vacuum bleed completely.
if you are getting exhaust gas in the cooling system it shouldn't take too long to start blowing hoses.
start with vacuum bleeding it, and make sure you have a 2 gallon jug of coolant ready when you force the coolant in.
make sure your aux fan isn't seized up, and make sure your clutched fan is working. pull the grill real quick or put a long screwdriver in there and make sure the fan moves, or jump 12 volts to it, the connector is accessible with the grill removed.
Electric fan does work because the thing kicks on often - always has even pre-HG replacement.

For all I know the mechanic used the Airlift II to bleed this truck - he is the one who recommended the tool to me. I would think that if it were exhaust gas it'd really be noticeable in smell and popping hoses, right? And, would combustion pressure have anything at all to do with thermostat? I can't see how - its lower than the bleed screw in the circuit so even if it were being pressurized, the thermostat should still open and the radiator still warm up.

Jon K

Jan 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
seventyfive said:
we've only seen a small amount of motors lose the silicone when overheated. we had one that looked like someone put stop leak in the cooling system, but it was still okay.

bmw/rover kept the sleeve design because bmw wanted out of rover and didn't feel like putting more money in development. the most reliable motor in a rover was the m62 in the l322.[/quote

Ok let me rephrase - if my motor had a slipped liner or was pressurizing the cooling system I'd be overheating, right? Ie., the radiator would be full of overly hot liquid and the motor as well.

Right now my symptoms were that the radiator drivers side hose was hot, the lower hose to the underside of the thermostat was cold, and the radiator was cold. All signs point to failed thermostat? If the top side of thermostat = hot, then hot fluid is getting there, if bottom side of thermostat = cold, then hot fluid not going through = failed thermostat?