Financial Armageddon

MarkP

Apr 23, 2004
Colorado
az_max said:
Look for gas prices to start to rise again.

Why? The dollar continues to rise as a temporary flight to quality continues. Oil is dropping as the world economy contracts on a mountain of debt.

Oil and gas will only begin to rise when the dollar starts its downward slide. We are still in deflation as lending is frozen.

UK: Mortgage Lenders Refuse to Pass on Rate Cut as House Prices Plummet

Not only are they refusing to lower rates, which they shouldn't do because risk is high, credit requirements are increasing. The end result, lower real estate prices.

Oil under $50 and $2.00/gal . . . . followed by hyperinflation.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
MarkP said:
Why? The dollar continues to rise as a temporary flight to quality continues. Oil is dropping as the world economy contracts on a mountain of debt.

Oil and gas will only begin to rise when the dollar starts its downward slide. We are still in deflation as lending is frozen.

UK: Mortgage Lenders Refuse to Pass on Rate Cut as House Prices Plummet

Not only are they refusing to lower rates, which they shouldn't do because risk is high, credit requirements are increasing. The end result, lower real estate prices.

Oil under $50 and $2.00/gal . . . . followed by hyperinflation.

I'm betting it will go up because the elections are over and the candidates have nothing to lose if it does go up.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
A friend sent me this gem:

http://www.portfolio.com/news-marke...olio/2008/11/11/The-End-of-Wall-Streets-Boom#

In Bakersfield, California, a Mexican strawberry picker with an income of $14,000 and no English was lent every penny he needed to buy a house for $720,000.

He called Standard & Poor’s and asked what would happen to default rates if real estate prices fell. The man at S&P couldn’t say; its model for home prices had no ability to accept a negative number. “They were just assuming home prices would keep going up,” Eisman says

At the top of this tower is the AAA tranche, just below it the AA tranche, and so on down to the riskiest, the BBB tranche—the bonds Eisman had shorted. But Wall Street had used these BBB tranches—the worst of the worst—to build yet another tower of bonds: a “particularly egregious” C.D.O. The reason they did this was that the rating agencies, presented with the pile of bonds backed by dubious loans, would pronounce most of them AAA. These bonds could then be sold to investors—pension funds, insurance companies—who were allowed to invest only in highly rated securities.

MarkP

Apr 23, 2004
Colorado
Home sick today and channel surfing through the financial/news networks. Appears there are hearings and meetings on everything from lending to hedge funds. The real joke is Sen Dodd's meetings in which he said 'banks won't lend' and consumers 'can't get credit'. Had it ever occurred to him that there is a 3rd possibility? That consumers simply don't want to spend and have retrenched?

I think we are reaching a point in which there is a confidence problem with the government, from Congress, President to the President-Elect. The real problem is government spending and there is no one on the horizon that even is talking about it. A discussion item months ago was how President Bush was the $10T man. Yesterday Forbes added up all the bailouts/programs and came up with another $5T. Everybody is jocking for a bailout and Obama ran on even more spending.

So what do people really see down the road?

Whitehead: "Worse than the Depression"
Calculated Risk

The economy faces a slump deeper than the Great Depression and a growing deficit threatens the credit of the United States itself, former Goldman Sachs chairman John Whitehead ...

"I think it would be worse than the depression," Whitehead said. "We're talking about reducing the credit of the United States of America, which is the backbone of the economic system. ... I see nothing but large increases in the deficit, all of which are serving to decrease the credit standing of America. ... I just want to get people thinking about this, and to realize this is a road to disaster. I've always been a positive person and optimistic, but I don't see a solution here."​

I really don't see the next administration materially decreasing spending. Its as if the US Government has become GM/Ford/Chrysler.

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
One week after AIG received an $85 billion bailout from us, executives went on luxurious retreat.

The House Oversight Committee discovered that, just one week after the federal government bailed out insurance giant AIG, company executives went on a retreat to a luxury resort. The executives spent nearly a half million dollars on manicures, facials, pedicures, and massages, among other things. During a recent hearing, Rep. Elijah Cummings asked, “Have you heard of anything more outrageous?”:

CUMMINGS: Let me describe for some of you the charges that the shareholders - the taxpayers - had to pay. AIG spent $200,000 dollars for hotel rooms. Almost $150,000 for catered banquets. AIG spent $23,000 at the hotel spa and another $1,400 at the salon. They were getting manicures, facials, pedicures and massages while American people were footing the bill. And they spent another $10,000 dollars for I don’t know what this is, leisure dining. Bars?

Eat, drink and be merry folks - celebrate! - especially on someone else's dime.

The AIG bailout was nothing more than corporate welfare. Just SOP, instead this time around the corporate hogs are dining on some different feed in the trough. I want some heads on a platter. No, wait. Make that paper plates. We can't afford platters anymore....

And what's happening with the remaining $400 billion of the $700 billion banking bailout? Seems Treasury Sec. Paulson is re-writing the "rules." The first half of the cash has simply disappeared into shareholder dividends, salaries, deferred bonuses and such, instead of being used for the intended purposes: to stabilize the markets.

We need more paper plates....

MarkP

Apr 23, 2004
Colorado
apg said:
. . . instead of being used for the intended purposes: to stabilize the markets. . . .

What's that about good intentions? In reality the government does not have the ability to stabilize markets or home prices. Assets will seek the correct perceived value regardless of intervention. Home prices cannot be 'stabilized' at current value. They will continue to drop until the ratio between incomes and prices returns to traditional multiples.

A good perspective on 2 presidential adminstrations and a president-elect adminstration short-list.

The High Priests of the Bubble Economy
By Dean Baker - November 11, 2008,

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
MarkP said:
What's that about good intentions? In reality the government does not have the ability to stabilize markets or home prices. Assets will seek the correct perceived value regardless of intervention. Home prices cannot be 'stabilized' at current value. They will continue to drop until the ratio between incomes and prices returns to traditional multiples.

So, you're saying the Bush bailout was wrong? How is that possible? According to you (and him) they've never ever made a mistake.

MarkP

Apr 23, 2004
Colorado
apg said:
So, you're saying the Bush bailout was wrong? How is that possible? According to you (and him) they've never ever made a mistake.

I'm saying that the expectation that home prices could be stabilized at value levels close to pre-credit crisis is intellectually dishonest. One day long ago credit availability was based on traditional criteria - verifiable income, downpayment, % of income, etc. If credit is offered on that basis asset value will return to those traditional multiples. Current prices will deflate. EVERYONE knows that. Democrats and Republicans. Last time I checked both Democrats and Republicans have been throwing money around like they have a printing press. :eek: Which they do. This is not a Bush bailout. It is a Democrat & Republican bailout.

Now, to say that I never said Bush doesn't make mistakes is incorrect. Our point of contention, repeated again with the financial crisis, is that history is being ignored to serve an agenda. You obviously didn't read the Bubble Economy article which covers two administrations and an incoming administration. Administration is not just 3 presidents. It includes all the advisors and as demonstrated by Obama, its a pretty short list for both Republicans and Democrats.

Two Cold Soakers

Apr 24, 2007
At your mom's
Now for something completely relevant-

Anyone got COMEX Gold futures set for a December delivery?

Anyone realize that there is up to a 100% (over spot) premium being paid for physical silver?

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
MarkP said:
I'll see your $xxB stimulus package and raise it . . .

Professor 'Nobel Prize' Krugman is proposing $600B . . . .

http://calculatedrisk.blogspot.com/2008/11/krugman-return-of-depression-economics.html

Why not $1T ?

Spending has gone exponential.
While I don't usually agree with Krugman's politics, as an economist, he is generally right.

Everything he said in that article is correct. I've always wondered if $700B would be enough, considering the size of our economy (~ $10 trillion), the amount of CDSs out there ($50--60 T), etc. Heck, look at AIG. The government has committed $150 billion to them alone, and they've nearly burned through that in, what, two months?

A friend of mine was telling me about the business that he's in. They are seeing demand destruction on a daily basis. One day the plant is sold out, by week's end, its at 50%.:(

This is going to get worse before it gets better.

MarkP

Apr 23, 2004
Colorado
Citi Firing 60,000, Chairman May Still Lose Job
Yahoo Finance
Nov 14, 2008

As for Krugman, he is wrong. Forcing consumption won't change the underlying problems. Low interest rates and bubblenomics have misallocated capital. Until that capital is reallocated into productive activities, forcing lending and consumption will only exacerbate the problem. Bailing out GM is a good example.

DiscoS2

Two Cold Soakers said:
Now for something completely relevant-

Anyone got COMEX Gold futures set for a December delivery?

Anyone realize that there is up to a 100% (over spot) premium being paid for physical silver?

I follow the metals markets. Premiums have been starting to shrink in the past day or two, but are still crazy high.
As I'd find much amusement in a COMEX default, I doubt it will happen unless some rich Russian, Chinese or Saudi guy who's looking to pull some strings decides to mess with 'em.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Holy cow! :eek:

Citigroup plans to cut about 50,000 jobs

By Greg Morcroft, MarketWatch

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- In the most dramatic round of layoffs seen to date in the battered U.S. financial sector, Citigroup Inc. said Monday that it plans to cut about 50,000 additional jobs in an effort to cut costs and stem huge losses sparked by bad investment and lending decisions.

Combined with earlier cuts of more than 20,000 positions, the latest job cuts will equal a 20 percent reduction in the bank's workforce from peak levels reached in the fourth quarter of 2007.