McCain VP- Sarah Palin

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
SGaynor said:
Also, how does a one prevent Iran from lobbing a nuke or two on their new missles to Israel?

First of all, their 'new' missile system is none too reliable. They televised the launch live several months ago, 'cept one didn't.... Oops. The image was later photoshopped to show that all launched. But we have to keep them from getting the technology - and here again, Russia is the key. But we've pissed them off as of late.

It's all connected...that's why we have to be smarter.... I want the best and brightest in Washington, not someone who's sole qualification for whatever job was based upon party loyalty and personal fealty rather than actual competence.

landrovered

Nov 28, 2006
Do you think that Russia would be able to justify their little jaunt into South Ossetia, which is now leading to jets in Venezuela and Cuba if the Bush Doctrine had not set the precedent?

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
I dont really see the two as connected, Putan has wanted to reassemble the country for a long time and I think he is looking at the low level of confidence in Bush as a chance to make some major moves.

all I can tell you is every game of RISK I have won I won from central america:rofl:

I am not liking the the fact that Russia just landed planes in both places within days of each other.

smells fishy

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
MUSKYMAN said:
all I can tell you is every game of RISK I have won I won from central america

:smilelol: Risk!...I can recall games that went on for DAYS....

Curious...I always chose Southeast Asia - and usually lost!

Cheers

landrovered

Nov 28, 2006
apg said:
Well, this is a corollary to our proposing to install missiles in Poland. And our involvement in the Georgia/South Ossettia debacle. Russia is rattlin' sabers. Now if we had been a bit *smarter* and hadn't had our head stuck up Iraqs ass....

There fixed it for you!

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
apg said:
First of all, their 'new' missile system is none too reliable. They televised the launch live several months ago, 'cept one didn't.... Oops. The image was later photoshopped to show that all launched. But we have to keep them from getting the technology - and here again, Russia is the key. But we've pissed them off as of late.

It's all connected...that's why we have to be smarter.... I want the best and brightest in Washington, not someone who's sole qualification for whatever job was based upon party loyalty and personal fealty rather than actual competence.

Actually, Russia is not the key. The Iranian got their tech from AQ Kahn (which came from N Korea), and God only knows what he gave them.

And as for best and brightest...The Democrats already tried that. Didn't work out so well (See: Kennedy, McNamara, Whiz-kids, Vietnam).:p

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
apg said:
:smilelol: Risk!...I can recall games that went on for DAYS....

Curious...I always chose Southeast Asia - and usually lost!

Cheers

southeast asia was to tough to hold early in the game...to many fronts:D

plug up the south us boarder, take all south america, inch up through the us, solidify north and south america,march across africa, hit europe through greenland and from africa and then and only then attack the soviets and asia:rofl:

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
MUSKYMAN said:
she also will do well in any position she holds, she is clearly smart and able to understand complex relationships.
So I gues it's just simple ones she can't understand.
Abstinence-only sex-ed.
17 year old daughter pregnant.
Yes, it's a good thing to not teach kids the importance of using birth control. She clearly understands that.

HunterAK

May 19, 2005
Anchorage Alaska
antichrist said:
Abstinence-only sex-ed.
Yes, it's a good thing to not teach kids the importance of using birth control. She clearly understands that.

Do you blame your parents for every bad choice you've made in your life?

Have you always done everything your parents have asked of you?

Have you been able to maintain the principles that your parents have taught you to exercise in your daily life 100% of the time?

I highly, highly doubt it. Does it make your parents bad people every time you make a bad decision? Absoutley not. I'm sure your parents are/were wonderful people who did the best to raise you and teach you the difference between what was right and wrong. Beyond that, it's up to you.

How about the idea of your children taking some personal responsibility for their actions? Bristol is 17, not 7.

Do you honestly feel that every mother across this country should be judged this way? Should they accept 100% of the blame if their minor child happens to get pregnant and be criticized by society for it?

That's pretty harsh and a major stretch in my book. This argument doesn't stick with me.

Last edited:

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
apg said:
Now if we had been a bit *smarter* and hadn't pissed 'em off quite so much....

Didn't people have the same feeling towards Hitler and the Nazis prior to WWII? That whole appeasement thing? Being smarter and not pissing them off quite so much worked out pretty well back then. What is the US supposed to do, be nicer, let them do their thing... eventually they have to stop being aggressive, right?

Can you explain what we, the US, should have done to be nicer, rather than just repeat we shouldn't have pissed them off so much like 5 times in different posts.

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
antichrist said:
Abstinence-only sex-ed.

So, if my dad taught me not to yell to solve problems but then I saw him yelling at my mom during an argument or if I yell during an argument I guess he's a bad father in your book and full of shit and worthless at leading a family and incompetent in all things? Yes... I know, you didn't say that, but that's the same logic train that you're using.

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
antichrist said:
Abstinence-only sex-ed.

I guess that dosent matter to me or I dont look to the CIC to decide how I teach my child.

In 4th grade my daughters friend had a 'boyfriend' it ended up screwing her up so bad she was the laughing stock of the school, my wife and I used it step by step as a teaching tool with our daughter. First we predicted to our daughter how it would turn out and the problems it would cause her friend as it unfolded our daughter saw we were right and has gained more confidence in the decision to not involve herself in 'relationships' early in life.

What I dont understand is why you are hung up on this point? Are you going to trust a school...any school to teach the values you want your children to have?

Why is the CIC's opinion on sex ed important? they dont make the laws they only sign them or veto them, and frankly I dont see legislation about sex ed ending up on the desk either way right now.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
MUSKYMAN said:
What I dont understand is why you are hung up on this point? Are you going to trust a school...any school to teach the values you want your children to have?
+1.... I thought that was already beat to death.

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
SGaynor said:
And as for best and brightest...The Democrats already tried that. Didn't work out so well (See: Kennedy, McNamara, Whiz-kids, Vietnam).:p

Yeah...I agree (again! :eek: ) But you left out that Texan, Johnson.... That whole 'nam thing was pretty stupid. I had a lot of friends go over and the ones that came back didn't seem to live too long afterwards. And since I came up #34 in the first draft lottery, you can bet I was 'involved'....that is, when I wasn't playing Risk!

But I see a lot of similarities between 'Nam and Iraq, that is, besides both being virtually unwinable quagmires with few exit strategies. The only 'beneficiaries' of both engagements have been the military-industrial complex - that to which Eisenhower was so opposed. As Ike said in his farewell address to the nation in 1961,

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.

This should be required reading....there will a test tomorrow.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
:banghead:
Jesus, I don't know how to explain it any more clearly than the several times I already have, but I'll try one more time. Apparently a number of people can't see the forest for the trees and keep focusing on the fact that Bristol is pregnant, which I couldn't care less about as far as Palin's ability to be VP.

Quit thinking it's about Bristol being pregnant. It's not.

The executive branch implements many thnigs that aren't required to be approved by the legislative or ruled constitutional by judicial branches. Of those that may need to be, the legislative branch often abdicates their role, and the judicial branch can't review unless someone files suit. Also, various government agencies are headed by, and policy set by, people the executive branch appoints.

Once the executive branch (or one of their appointees) implements something it is either a success and works or is a failure and it doesn't work. If it doesn't work a rational person would change the plan. A person who can't admit failures, or can't even see the failures, or is so sure their way is the only way refuses to change the plan.

Now we have Sarah Palin.
She insists that abstinence-only is the sex ed that should be taught in schools. Presumably that this is what she teaches at home, unless one assumes she is a complete hypocrite (not good for a VP), which I don't. So Sarah Palin has a policy failure. In fact, assuming none of her other 2 children of a sexually active age have had sex, a 30% failure rate of a policy.
I suppose she might not be a hypocrite and taught her daughter about birth control, and believes only parents should teach their kids about birth control. However, if that's the case, then she's utterly out of touch with reality (because many parents don't talk to their kids). Not good for a VP.
Now, based on the above, a logical/rational person in Palin's place when setting national policy would say, "Hmmm, it appears abstinence-only sex-ed doesn't work in a substantial percentage of cases, I guess we should teach abstinence as well good sex-ed."

When fasce with this 30% failure rate does Sarah Palin do this? No, she still insists on abstinence-only sex-ed.

I agree 100% that sex-ed itself isn't an important campaign subject. I also agree 100% that it is first and foremost what parents should be doing. But any person with 1/2 a brain knows aome parents will abdicate that role, and others probably know less than their kids.

What Palin's position indicates is that she can't comprehend the need to change failed plans when they go against some pre-conceived belief.

This is a very bad characteristic for someone in her soon to be role.

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
mgreenspan said:
Didn't people have the same feeling towards Hitler and the Nazis prior to WWII? That whole appeasement thing? Being smarter and not pissing them off quite so much worked out pretty well back then. What is the US supposed to do, be nicer, let them do their thing... eventually they have to stop being aggressive, right?

Can you explain what we, the US, should have done to be nicer, rather than just repeat we shouldn't have pissed them off so much like 5 times in different posts.

Well, I don't think that comparisons to Neville Chamberalin and the appeasement movement in the UK and elsewhere (think Charles Lindberg) are valid here. The British were relying on the English Channel to keep Hitler and the Nazis at bay - failed thinking. Quite fortunately, Churchill and smarter minds prevailed....

An extension of the Bush Doctrine was the attempt to spread "democracy" throughout the world, which led to our sticking our noses into Georgia. That and offering up NATO membership to former soviet-bloc nations AND promising a "missile defense shield" for Poland. WTF? What did we expect the Russians - newly resurgent with oil wealth - to do? Sit quietly and sip their borscht? We (stupidly) got in their face and they are "getting back" at us by sending bombers to Venezuela - because they can. It's this tit-for-tat behavior that brought the world so close to armageddon in October of 1962. I remember that...fallout shelters, air raid drills, as if any "duck and cover" exercise would protect your ass from a thermo-nuclear blast....