McCain VP- Sarah Palin

HunterAK

May 19, 2005
Anchorage Alaska
montanablur said:
For a speech written by Bush's speech writer of course you would like it, it is the same divisive drivel you have come to love over the past 8 years. Of course as a former sportscaster with a teleprompter she is going to deliver a speech that is firm yet cheerful.

I do agree with you on the debates. Senator McCain will be awkward as always and not stand a chance to Obama's speaking abilities, while the true sparks will indeed fly in the VP debates.

Divisive? HA! Hardly! You can analyze this one to the hills, no matter what, she was powerful and persuasive and you can't take that away from her. The message she sent tonight was loud and clear. Pick it apart all you want. It doesn't matter. The sound she made will deafen any criticism.

HunterAK

May 19, 2005
Anchorage Alaska
RBBailey said:
I want more bull dog.

Somewhat agree, but any more bulldog and it would have been over the top I think. She was definitely aggressive and assertive if you asked me. It was spot on in my estimation.

Last edited:

montanablur

Aug 29, 2004
planes, trains and automobiles
I'm looking forward to the debates.

She has proven herself as a public speaker with a teleprompter, and I'm sure she will be fine without. Even if I think shes a politcal gimmick, the VP debates will certainly not be dull.

HunterAK

May 19, 2005
Anchorage Alaska
montanablur said:
I'm looking forward to the debates... the VP debates will certainly not be dull.

Holy shit I may agree with you on something.... Maybe I'm delirious. I need to go to bed.

Or wait.... could it be that Sarah is pulling us together?

Nah. I'm delirious, but I do agree.

Good night.

jammin

Mar 5, 2007
Salem OR
I heard bits and pieces running errands and on the way to see some family. (Stupid radio stations breaking for commercials... can't they skip that for stuff like this, or at least just put 'em between speakers?)

Huckabee was a bit odd, but pretty funny... fairly good actually. Rudy was mostly his old obnoxious schtick, but there were some outstanding gems in there.

I only heard the first 15 minutes or so (I think) of Palin, but to be honest... I was dumbfounded and shocked at how weak, lame, and inane it was. Droning on and on about the most basic and obvious stuff... "I have 5 kids" (crowd: yay!) "their names are..." (crowd: yay!). "I love America" (crowd: yay!) Sure they all do that, but hers just seemed to go on forever. It was like listening to a teacher talking super-simply to a pack of 1st graders.

Completely disappointing, and I was tempted to just shut it off anyway even if I hadn't reached my destination. (Though I would have stuck it out if I were at home.)

Did she just start out weak and pick up steam later? I sure hope so,.. it sounds like she probably did based on what ya'll are saying here. I might have to see if it's on youtube to get the whole thing.

HunterAK

May 19, 2005
Anchorage Alaska
Jammin... no, no, no.... :rolleyes: You can't write a real review, even on here, if you just heard bits and pieces on the radio man.

Weak, lame, inane, and droning on and on like she was talking to 1st graders is so far off base it's almost comical.

Come back after you've WATCHED and heard the speech from start to finish, not in pieces.

Last edited:

jammin

Mar 5, 2007
Salem OR
HunterAK said:
Jammin... no, no, no.... :rolleyes: You can't write a real review, even on here, if you just heard bits and pieces on the radio man.

Weak, lame, inane, and droning on and on like she was talking to 1st graders is so far off base it's almost comical.

Come back after you've WATCHED and heard the speech from start to finish, not in pieces.

That was not a review, and didn't claim to be. That was exactly my impression of the first part of it, with the disclaimer that it obviously could not apply to the entire speech.

FWIW, I've now read a transcript... I had heard it from the beginning up until she mentioned Truman, and got absolutely nothing out of it. (It did get much better shortly after that, at least on paper.)

Thing is I've gotten 10 times more out of 2 minutes of Ron Paul or Bob Barr (and others) than she gave me in that 10 minutes or so, and I honestly felt like screaming at the radio for her to knock it off with the pandering and get on with the meat already. It felt like padding, and a waste of time.

The rest was much better, just as I said it probably was. As written, there was some darn good stuff, some bs, some funny, some disingenuous.

I stand by my statement on the first part of the speech... completely forgettable. But I agree that it didn't apply the rest, and taken as a whole it was a decent speech. So don't get your panties in a twist... I think it would have been much stronger if she'd either cut down the opening bit by about 70%, or sprinkled it in smaller chunks throughout the rest of the speech.

I'll reserve further judgment until I've actually heard it for real.

Thanks for the link. :cool:

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
p m said:
I don't see anything wrong with promoting abstinence (although I, personally, would consider it a waste of young years), and I don't hold Sarah Palin in any way responsible for what happened with her daughter. Tom seems to see it as an indicator of inability to lay down the law and enforce it.
Not at all, not sure where you get that.
I thought I was quite clear:

It's a failure to recognize it doesn't work 100% of the time. In light of that, taking the position to prevent kids from getting all the facts is irresponsible. Ignorance is not bliss.

Again, I do think kids should be taught abstinence, just not at the expense of the rest of the information.

I have no idea if Sarah holds any responsibility. If Bristol had access to good sex-ed, then I'd say no. If she didn't have good access, and Sarah was so fixated on abstinence that she didn't educate her daughter about proper use of birth control, then I'd say absolutely she bears some. I have no idea what the case is.

This inability to recognize clear failure is not a good characteristic of a leader.

Last edited:

Steve

Apr 20, 2004
Eastern Shore of MD
I thought Palin's speech was awesome and exactly what was needed. First an introduction for those that aren't entrenched enough to know her. Then she really turned it on.

Pre-Palin, my favorite moments were from Huckabee. The story of the desks got me teary. The remark about the votes was hysterical.

[Sarah Palin] got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for President of the United States.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Steve said:
I thought Palin's speech was awesome and exactly what was needed. First an introduction for those that aren't entrenched enough to know her. Then she really turned it on.

Pre-Palin, my favorite moments were from Huckabee. The story of the desks got me teary. The remark about the votes was hysterical.

Fact check time Steve O.

FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

Tempest

Mar 11, 2008
Orlando, FL
montanablur said:
She has proven herself as a public speaker with a teleprompter, and I'm sure she will be fine without. Even if I think shes a politcal gimmick, the VP debates will certainly not be dull.

On CNN this morning they reported that the teleprompters were not working properly during her speech... take that into consideration too.

landrovered

Nov 28, 2006
Morning all,

I watched the speech and I thought she did a decent job of reading Karl Roves speach, the oratory was not quite deserving of the crowds unbridled adjulation but I think they were reacting to the fact that she did not crumble, fall down and cause a scene. Their reaction was typical for anyone at a national political convention, throw out the chuncks of red meat and let the crowd do the rest.

I must point out that the republicans are still trying to run as "change" agents against their own party's and Bush's record. This juxtaposition between the rhetoric and the reality is going to become a problem for them.

I am glad she did well enought that the Veep debate can actually have some substance because if she had done poorly then Biden would have to pull his punches or be percieved as a bully. So good for everybody!

The applause lines in her speech were tried and true republican boilerplate, nothing new there, were looking out for your safety, wallet and morals and the bad democrats are liberal, do-nothing eliteist, tax raisers that are of suspect moral fiber.

Same shit different day but that is not going to cut it in this election. In order to win the republicans have to adopt a new strategy and by selecting Palin was a calculated move to placate the right wing of the party and it has gotten us back to the same arguement we had in 2000 and 2004.

If I were to guess, we will see some new overseas crisis blown out of proportion by the administration for the sole purpose of bringing the national security issue back to the forefront. Look for some Bin laden video, an Iranian revalation or other international create-a-crisis to surface in the months ahead.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

hamsquatch

Sep 28, 2006
Richmond / Midlothian
  • Palin made a very good presentation of herself last night. She should be commended and Alaska should be proud of her.
  • Palin will not face Barry in the debates. She will face Biden and she needs to start prepping.
  • Hearing Rudy and Romney speak makes me relieved that they are not on the ticket.
  • John and Barry are the ones running for president. Lets not lose sight of that. Barry is in Ohio this week. Pay attention.
  • One thing is certain...someone will win, someone will lose and in the end we'll all need to carry on.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
This is one reason not to like her. What a fucking whack-o. LOL. Her and Pat should start their own kids TV series. "God and Stuff".

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."