Borg warner

1speed

I am a discovery owner but enjoy reading about the rangie. I was curious as to why people with the 90-95 rangies opt for the Lt 230 transfer case over the borg warner. What is the major drawback of the borg warner? Just curious.

Velocewest

May 13, 2007
PDX Orygun
Or perhaps more accurately, no driver selectable CDL. It locks when it thinks it should, which may not agree with the driver's opinion...

1speed

How about the gearing, higher or lower? The same maybe? ( I would prefer a driver selected lock myself)

luvs2getmuddy

Oct 1, 2006
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
The BW DOES lock,as mentioned, it is done automatically via the fluid inside the VC.
Personally, I like the BW so far. I've wheeled my rangie quite hard, and plan to continue pushing its limits this season, never noticed any real drawbacks. Once the VC goes, I will probably keep the BW.

On that same note, if you are planning on building a rock crawler, the Lt230, albeit needing to be upgraded, is your best bet.

1speed

It sounds to me that the borg warner would suit me just fine the way that it is in the Range Rover. I was just curious as to why so many are quick to judge or replace this unit. Thank you for the replies and valued info.

Last edited:

1speed

Is the automatic part of the locking mechanism of the borg warner unit hydraulic, or electric or torque converter related?

Asolo3j

Nov 8, 2004
Annapolis
Is it possible to make a BW unit selectable.... or would the modification of the BW not be cost effective vs. simply replacing the unit with the Lt 230?

stevo

May 4, 2004
Thats your best answer right there above. But, I would just use your BW until it lets you down - either stretched chain or dead/seized VC, then replace with an LT230.

Unless you feel the BW VC is letting you down off-road due to its basic design/capabilities.....

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Or unless you could happen to find a used VC that is still working.

Emerson00

Mar 16, 2007
You can get used VCs for $100-$200...

Time for another "Will Tillery is da man" thread?

Gordo

I ran a BW for about 9 yrs in my trail toy classic (which is now becoming a hybrid). Most of that was offroading. My VC went out once, but I didnt even realize it until I took a d/s off one day and tried to drive it (looking for a vibe). It didnt move and sounded like marbles going everywhere inside the transfer case. If they lock up they usually chirp around corners. They are weaker than the gear driven LT230 but they really hold there own in slick situations like mud and maybe snow (Dont see much snow in FL). In thick mud you can 'feel' the VC push/pull the truck as it shifts the power front to rear. You can also hear the chain hitting the housing too though once they stretch out! My 2 cents is wheel it till it breaks, then if you just lose a VC, fix that. Eventually the chain will stretch and start hitting the case, then it's time to start looking for a LT230 with linkage. Im in the process of changing mine right now since it's been noisy for a couple yrs. Gordo

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
Are these BW VC's best left alone. I was thinking about changing the fluid in the t-case not sure what has ever been done to it about 170k miles on it. Doesnt really make any noise to speak of. What is best in it a synthetic, doesnt it take Dexron II or similar?