3 lights and a spliced harness?

James Long

May 14, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I have not purchsed anything yet. but hella only offers a 2x light harness, I was thinking about splicing wires and changing the fuse on the relay. I am just probing for anyone who has tackled this issue, because there are many rovers with three light tabs.
Thanks

jcs2179

Jan 23, 2006
Illinois
James,

I have 3 4000's with the factory Hella harness you are talking about. A splice at the last 5 inches onto the 3rd light did it. No problems -ever.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
James Long said:
Thanks brother, I knew it could be done!
Then why did you ask? (and waste 72 people's time)

Improperly matched electrics can cause your vehicle to turn in to a torch. Ever been around a car fire? Not fun. Even less when it's yours.

The only way to know if what you want to do will work is to do the math. Maybe jcs's is sized right, maybe it isn't. He's using the factory harness, you apparently are going to use aftermarket.

Last edited:

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
Radio Shack has automotive lighting relays, cheap. Why chance it? Get another relay and do it right.
You can piggy back the relays with no issues.
Go with 14 gauge wire and you should be ok.

James Long

May 14, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
antichrist said:
Then why did you ask? (and waste 72 people's time)

Improperly matched electrics can cause your vehicle to turn in to a torch. Ever been around a car fire? Not fun. Even less when it's yours.

The only way to know if what you want to do will work is to do the math. Maybe jcs's is sized right, maybe it isn't. He's using the factory harness, you apparently are going to use aftermarket.

thanks cock!

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
jcs2179 said:
James,

I have 3 4000's with the factory Hella harness you are talking about. A splice at the last 5 inches onto the 3rd light did it. No problems -ever.
So let's figure this.
You have 12 volts. You have 3 lights at 100 watts each.
If you have 3 lights on one circuit you have 300 watts.
300/12=25amps
What size wire are you using?
Let's figure you are only running 2 lights on one circuit and one light on another.
100/12=8.3amps
200/12=16.6amps

So in order to run one lamp you will need 16 gauge wire, two lamps, 12 gauge wire and three lamps 10 gauge wire.
To account for voltage drop I would run 14 gauge wire in a one lamp circuit. And I wouldn't have three lamps in a circuit unless I was running 8 gauge wire.

scottjal

Mar 16, 2006
Nashua, NH
scottjal.ath.cx
That sounds about right for some high performance lighting. A quick check in the ugly's for copper raceway says that is erroring on the side of caution.

Double check the relays too, sometimes they aren't rated for 30 amps and I have seen some rated down to 20 or lower so don't assume because its black square ice cube style its 30A.

James Long

May 14, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
rovercanus said:
So let's figure this.
You have 12 volts. You have 3 lights at 100 watts each.
If you have 3 lights on one circuit you have 300 watts.
300/12=25amps
What size wire are you using?
Let's figure you are only running 2 lights on one circuit and one light on another.
100/12=8.3amps
200/12=16.6amps

So in order to run one lamp you will need 16 gauge wire, two lamps, 12 gauge wire and three lamps 10 gauge wire.
To account for voltage drop I would run 14 gauge wire in a one lamp circuit. And I wouldn't have three lamps in a circuit unless I was running 8 gauge wire.

Thanks for the info, now I have soemthing to start with.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I just reread this thread from the top and it dawned on me how stupis this response was:
James Long said:
That is what I am posting for

Ok, so you posted so you could do the math, but you didn't answer the questions that are required information to do the math. And you still haven't answered any of them.

Tell me, did you ever have a math test in school with questions like this:
1) Solve for x
I sorta doubt it.

That was essentially your first post.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
varova87 said:
i run 3 FF 1000s of the hella harness, no problems in 4 months.
Those are 55 watts each whereas the 4000's are 100 watts each. Besides, you have Jesus on your side.

55*3=165
165/12=13.75amps
You could use 14 gauge for this.

Last edited: