D1 Axles under a D2?? Good idea - yay/nay?

Roving Beetle

A quick search didn't provide anything much more than "the D1 axles are stronger" this I know.

A friend has a complete D1 he's parting (I have the trans and transfer already - trans for sale - shameless plug :D )

Anyway I was considering getting the axles from him, will they swap under my D2 "easily"? I have not looked at them any more than a quick glance but obviously they are close certainly. Never payed attention but do the '98 D1's have locations for the ABS/speed sensors like my '00 D2?

I would love the stronger axles, able to run the older steel nato wheels and his rear axle has a locker in it already. :bigok:

I may take a look this weekend anyway when I help him move it so he can plow the snow around it better. It is outside under 3 feet of snow, at least it's covered with a tarp and the ground under it's dry.

DevilDisco

Aug 3, 2006
Swansboro, NC
That doesn't sound like it's worth it. Just from observation of being on this board, DI's are switching to Toyota Axels. I think both DI and DII axels are of the same quality so no real benefit in swaping them out. Stronger shafts may be your best bet.

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
They are narrower, have A arm vs watts, trailing arms are single connect. Basically won't work without major modification.

The advantage to the DIs are they are full floating allowing easier field repair.

The DII now has the option of GBR HD rear and Ashecroft HD front CVs/shafts. If you are still wanting the full floating option a Toy swap will give you both strength and better field reparability.

Mongo and ChicagoDon are who you need to contact here for more info on that type of mod.

Cheers,

Mike

Roving Beetle

To "Devil...." :

Thanks, but the rear D1 axle is a full floating unit so that is a nice upgrade. I know I can get stronger axles for the D2..... but these are super cheap and with a locker already there - you get the idea!

Just throwing the idea around, thanks for the input though! :)

Roving Beetle

flyfisher11 said:
They are narrower, have A arm vs watts, trailing arms are single connect. Basically won't work without major modification.

The advantage to the DIs are they are full floating allowing easier field repair.

The DII now has the option of GBR HD rear and Ashecroft HD front CVs/shafts. If you are still wanting the full floating option a Toy swap will give you both strength and better field reparability.

Mongo and ChicagoDon are who you need to contact here for more info on that type of mod.

Cheers,

Mike

THANKS! That's what I was looking for - and DUH, I knew this about the suspension if I had just thought a while longer before posting. LOL. I am the post-whore today i guess. :cool:

I will skip it 100% and go for the upgraded axle shafts at some point - then again i do know of a set of axles under a later model Land Cruiser, lockers front and rear. :drool: Not sure they will fit.......... ehhhh, got to stop thinking about all of it at once - I don't need it yet!! Still getting the TDI stuff all set-up.

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
Roving Beetle said:
THANKS! That's what I was looking for - and DUH, I knew this about the suspension if I had just thought a while longer before posting. LOL. I am the post-whore today i guess. :cool:

I will skip it 100% and go for the upgraded axle shafts at some point - then again i do know of a set of axles under a later model Land Cruiser, lockers front and rear. :drool: Not sure they will fit.......... ehhhh, got to stop thinking about all of it at once - I don't need it yet!! Still getting the TDI stuff all set-up.

For sure contact Mongo here if you are serious. He's been fabbing up some serious stuff underneath his DII.

Cheers,

Mike

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Thanks Mike...What year cruiser? Drop me a PM if your serious about putting them under your truck...

maxyedor

May 9, 2006
You do know that you can use a D1 diff i a D2 right? All you have to do is swap that locker over to your D2, still not a floater, but it is a step in the right direction.

BuyRovers

Jan 21, 2006
www.aluclassics.com
luvs2getmuddy said:
Arent the pumpkins on the opposite end too?

No they are on the same side. And as maxyedor said, the third members are interchangable so you can get his locker without getting the entire axle assembly. And if I am not mistaken, the d2 axles are stronger than the d1 axles, the biggest disadvantage is the d2's are not full float as mentioned.

C-

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
no shit Thom...I'd take D1 set-up over a D2 in a heart beat...Even with the new cv's for the front, I'd worry about ripping a hub off at the alxe tube with anything bigger than a 33 or 34...a D1 is a lot more off road friendly, and can be built up to handle 35's...