Replacement Chevy Fan Clutch on D1

d1driver

Oct 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I searched the threads and found loads of information. The only thing I did not find is someone stating how the fans worked out over time.

With this blazing heat lately, I run my a/c. With the a/c on, my viscous fan runs way too much. It really dogs the truck down leaving redlights and while on highway. It does not run with the a/c off though.

Is this normal, or should I go ahead and replace it with one of the replacement clutches?

Who has had problems after installing a 215157 vs 215158 from Advanced?

I don't want to waste $70 on a fan clutch, and have to turn around and get a real Rover fan clutch later anyways, and also have to replace the fan itself, due to the holes being drilled out.

BaldEagle

Sep 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
i'm buying another 57 clutch for my other disco this weekend. i noticed the engine was running hotter than normal and i didnt hear the fan running. it has 246k on the original clutch im sure its overdue haha.

d1driver

Oct 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
My electric fans work the way they are supposed to.

My viscous fan just seems to roar bad and at much more frequencies with the a/c on, and the electric fans running. Sometimes, is does not stop on highway, and roars what seems like forever. It is killing my mileage.

Time to replace? Without a/c on, it roars once in a while, but not anything near what it does while using a/c.

d1driver

Oct 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
ptschram said:
I've had a 215158 on my truck for several years now, no problems.

But does it roar constantly and dog the truck down? I run 60 miles a day on the highway. I need all the economy I can get.

d1driver

Oct 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I would think that if the fans for the a/c are running, the viscous would not be needed at all. With all three running, it sounds like a jet engine!

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
+1.

Despite making that C130 sound, the fan with a Chevy HD clutch on my LWB hasn't caused any power or gas mileage loss. I am just a bit more reluctant to downshift manually going uphills at 80mph.

d1driver

Oct 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
The electric fans only kick on when I have the a/c on. My temp gauge never really moves, except for when the truck is warming up.

Maybe all this is being caused by the excessive heat. My thermometer on my deck hit 100 degrees in the shade today. First time ever.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
With 225k miles on my viscous clutch and it turning too easily by hand I decided to pick one up at Advance Auto Parts. I got the Extreme duty 922786 (old #215158). Actually one store listed it as the 215158, but out of stock, the other store listed it as 922786.
I noticed it's deeper from the mounting nut to the mounting face of the fan, so I was able to install the Imperial 220618 metal fan I bought a couple of years ago (on my Disco the blades hit the assorted pullies with the OEM/shorter fan clutch). I did need to grind about 1/8 - 3/16" off the ends of the blades to keep it from rubbing the shroud.
Seems to be working fine so far, but is substantially louder than the plastic fan. Or maybe my old viscous clutch was so crapped out it wasn't working much.

Last edited: