Tall Disco II drivers, how do you fit?

I

IronEagle

I just bought an '04 Discovery II SE and I absolutely love it! I have been after a Disco for about 8 years now, and it was finally time to go ahead and get one. The trouble is, at 6'2" I really don't fit well. Having to sit bow-legged isn't very comfortable on a long drive and can make it dificult to reach the brake pedal. For the first part of my solution, I did some work on the seat rails which have netted me about four more inches of rearward travel. (I would be happy to write up a bit about this if anyone is interested) This helped a great deal, but the steering wheel still sits on top of my legs. Has anyone else figured out any ways to either move the steering wheel up or the seat down?

Thanks!
-John

scottagnew101

Apr 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Im 6'2" and i fit great. My dad is 6'4" and he fits snug. But then again i like to be close to the wheel (not grand'ma on sunday morning but not gangsta:banghead: ) i feel as if i have better control of the Rover that way.

scottjal

Mar 16, 2006
Nashua, NH
scottjal.ath.cx
I agree and I am not even that tall. Your knees will be up beside the steering column a bit, not really that bad. Steering wheel adjustment is actually very limited. You will have to duct to see under the rear view mirror and to see traffic lights. As ergo's go not the best vehicle. Seats are comfortable though.

A

auwesman

I'm 6'2" and I feel like its a squeeze...at least comparing it to other cars I have owned. Usually have a knee touching dash at all times....and I have to duck down to see the top portion of the spedometer. Like mentioned above, steering wheel adjustment is VERY limited. I mean, a little discomfort to look so good driving down the road in a disco....totally worth it. :)

by the way...I'm interested to know what you did about the seat rails.

Last edited:

roverthen

Apr 19, 2004
Orlando, FL
I'm 6'7". My knees come pretty close to the front but don't touch. I could use about 2" for more comfort, anything else might feel more gansta, as someone said. I also have a '93 RRC LWB. Driving the RRC makes me really appreciate all the comfort the D2 provides!

John, I'm interested in the mod ou did for the seat. Now if the steering wheel would come back and down some!

Last edited:
A

auwesman

Dang...6'7" in a DII. I'm impressed. I used to drive a Ford Ranger and I had a little more room in it than I do my DII, but I got over it quickly.

I didn't do the seat mods, Ironegale did. I'm interested to know what he did as well. I'll take 4" more if I can get it.

white disco

Oct 17, 2005
6'3", and long trips get a little rough on the knees. One thing I find annoying is when you use the cruise control there's no where to put your feet out of the way of the pedals.

robertofollia

Aug 3, 2005
My home is where my Disco is
I'm quite tall but not as tall as you are, and always found the seat base movement too poor (I mean manual seats go further backwards than electric ones). So John, please tell me what you did to gain these precious freedom of movement!
I will be taking my seat apart shortly to change springs (it sags) and maybe it would be time to modify the rails.

I

IronEagle

I don't have my digital camera here at the office to load the pictures I took while modding the rails. I will post them with a description of the procedure this evening.

I may look into further modificatoins for seat height. I think if I could drop the back of the seat an inch to an inch and a half, I'd have enough range in adjustability to get the seat exactly where I want it.

stevo

May 4, 2004
Yeah, please post, I'm 6'5" and although the headroom is not a problem, another couple inches of rearward travel would be nice.....althought I do get tired of having to strain to look under the front edge of the roof to see traffic lights. My RRC, even though it has less headroom, actually has much more leg room than my DII.

B

Badfysh

x2 on the ducking down to see the traffic lights.

6'2" - pretty much same as everyone said, a tad snug at the knees and overall height is clear but being tall and the weird winshield sucks ass in the D2. i am not sure moving the seat back more would help me much, it seems as though that make me too far away from the NON-telscoping steering wheel. not to mention only a midget or person with no legs would now be able to sit behind me.

i disagree though abou the RRC stuff, when i am in the LWB it is like sitiing on top of a building i can see in all directiosn and have plenty of leg room for myslef as well as any passengar behind me

roverthen

Apr 19, 2004
Orlando, FL
Badfysh said:
x2 on the ducking down to see the traffic lights.

6'2" - pretty much same as everyone said, a tad snug at the knees and overall height is clear but being tall and the weird winshield sucks ass in the D2. i am not sure moving the seat back more would help me much, it seems as though that make me too far away from the NON-telscoping steering wheel. not to mention only a midget or person with no legs would now be able to sit behind me.

i disagree though abou the RRC stuff, when i am in the LWB it is like sitiing on top of a building i can see in all directiosn and have plenty of leg room for myslef as well as any passengar behind me
Plenty of leg room in the RRC just not enough headroom. The problem is reaching the steering wheel. For the D2, we can mod the seats to go father back but the steering wheel is not going anywhere. One solution might be to change the steering column to a unit from a P38 which has telescoping and tilting functions. I just don't know if it's possible and how hard to make the switch.

Last edited:
T

TobiH

Hey, I am 6"7 and I fit in OK - and I have long legs ! Not mega spacious but my knees don't touch the front - in fact there seems to be even slightly more space than in the current RR, where my knees almost touch the front.

But hey, I drove a Freelander before and that seemed to have more room for my legs BUT a lot less headroom and general space.

I

IronEagle

I have attached the photos. Basically there are two steps you have to do to increase the rearward travel of the seat. First remove the stops. You can see where these were in the pictures 2 and 3. The stop goes through the square hole and is then squished out to hold it in place. I ground off the squished metal and the stop just poped out.

Next you remove the bolts that attach the seat to the carrier that moves back and forth on the long threaded rod. This is what actually moves the seat back and forth. The way to increase the travel is to make a bracket that will attach the seat to the carrier further up. These can be seen in pictures 1 and 4.

Some notes, this is a work in progress. I gained 4 inches of travel, if I were to do it again, I would not add so much. At 4 inches, the seat actually runs into the B pillar, so you can't actually move it all the way back. Also, it will run the carriers off of the threaded rod if you move it all the way forward.

Also, there is not much clearance between the gear housing for the threaded rod and where you need to bolt the bracket to the seat frame. In order to do this, I used elevator bolts. They have a large, very flat head on them and fit perfectly. These bolts can be dificult to track down. The stronger solution would be to weld the bracket to the frame. I may do this in the final version.

Attachments

• railmod-3.jpg
    railmod-3.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 56
  • railmod-4.jpg
    railmod-4.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 59
  • railmod-1.jpg
    railmod-1.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 45
  • railmod-2.jpg
    railmod-2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 49

DiscoPhun

Jul 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the photos, will look into the same set up.

x3 about the traffic lights, 6'4" - and the knees aren't cramped but after driving on long road trips my kneecaps start to go numb after awhile.

Rover grenade

Aug 19, 2005
Get a DI, I am 6'6" and fit fine. Actually one of the resons I bought a Disco, Headroom. Ducking to see traffic lights and the speedo is whack but not as whack as the headroom in a 4runner!

EJB90

Feb 26, 2007
Connecticut
I am 5'11" and I would like either the seat to lower or the steering wheel to go up higher. I have the wheel tilted all the way up and I just want a couple more inches of room.

I hate ducking at stoplights. Its so annoying, and occasionally I think I get looks from pedestrians.

Trashman

Mar 10, 2006
I'm 6'3 with twin babies try fitting two rear facing car seats in the back and still have room. I have a 03 and a 96 and I was suprised there is more room in the d1.