practical limits for off-roading in a stock 97 disco?

S

syoung

Wife's first stock Disco, before we lifted or did anything to it... No problem...

Attachments

• disco238.jpg
    disco238.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 149

Kavic

Nov 2, 2004
Ashburn, VA
d1driver said:
There is no way that thing kept running. Impossible.

It kept running long enough to get out of the deep water to a dry spot, then it died and had to be towed across a short section.

You sure as heck don't think that guy would have went out there in those little boots (last pic) and hooked him up do you ;) It was even snowing a little that day.

IIRC, only the stock D1 and the most lifted d1 with snorkel decided to give that crossing a try that day.

Attachments

• DSC01979.JPG
    DSC01979.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 88
  • stalled.JPG
    stalled.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 84
  • towed.JPG
    towed.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 96
  • snow-boots.JPG
    snow-boots.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 110

d1driver

Oct 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
My point was that sure, it will run for a while in that deep of water. But not for long. You cannot expect to cross something that extreme without some issues. Some of which, can be very severe. I am still not sure how you didn't suck water in the intake doing that. Doing that was a complete gamble with blowing your engine.

My advice to this guy is as simple as saying to not try something that extreme, unless you want a very high risk of having problems. They can take 24" of water all day long. Anything more than that, and keep the fingers crossed. We are talking about a stock Disco here.

I think he needs to experience his truck offroad to really understand.

S

syoung

Swa j-Ten said:
Oh that is so photoshop

LOL! Nope- she's proud of that pic, it's all real. She even bent the steering rod on a rock in that creek. :D

discoverm3

Oct 3, 2006
but you see it dosnt matter how fast i go i was crossing a long relativly deep hole on a trail and kid you not i maintained a little bit more then 5 mph the whole time and i got half way through it and it puttered to a stop, and i opend the door and it was hardly up to the rockers

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
Kavic said:
You sure as heck don't think that guy would have went out there in those little boots (last pic) and hooked him up do you ;) It was even snowing a little that day.
Look at that idiot out there in the cold muddy water!! Oh wait........nevermind.

NitroRoo

Dec 1, 2006
Haven't attempted any water crossings yet in my stock d1... how watertight is the cabin?? I see all these pictures of people crossing deep water, are you totally flooding your interiors? What about a 24" crossing that just comes up to the doors?

stupidjeep

Sep 22, 2006
Goochland VA/ Lusby MD
discoverm3 said:
but you see it dosnt matter how fast i go i was crossing a long relativly deep hole on a trail and kid you not i maintained a little bit more then 5 mph the whole time and i got half way through it and it puttered to a stop, and i opend the door and it was hardly up to the rockers

What year is yours? I had water to the windshield once, stock D1.. Do you have a distributer? That might be what gets wet for you..

vinrock

Aug 19, 2006
NJ
stupidjeep said:
What year is yours? I had water to the windshield once, stock D1.. Do you have a distributer? That might be what gets wet for you..

Basically, it's crapping out at axle depth? Gotta be a short somewhere.

S

Swa j-Ten

NitroRoo said:
... how watertight is the cabin??
The fact that you are talking about a D1 implies that your vehicle is slightly older and that the rubber seals around the doors may be hardened, or cracked and separated. Aside from that, the cabin is essentially watertight. There are some small openings in the cargo compartment, which I discovered while removing all of my interior lining and which probably account for the gurgling noise I would hear while immersed - but they are nothing significant and, in my opinion, substantial flooding could only occur over an extended period of time.

S

syoung

Our DI has been in deep many times and it's never taken in water, but we make a point not to stop if the water is above the bottom of the doors. We also lube the door seals to keep them pliable. It leaked more from the Alpine windows in rain than the doors did when submerged.

SkeeZRoverXD

Aug 2, 2006
Big Stone Gap, VA
I've got a 2 in lift, snorkle, and 31 in bfg A/Ts on my 97 disco...I've been through some pretty deep mud/water never had any problems (knock on wood). As far as stock I never really got into any deep water nothing over the bottom of my door anyway. Just get out and test it see what you can and can't do...I've not found much that I can't do yet but then again I haven't been able to try really crazy stuff because I'm usually by myself.

discoverm3

Oct 3, 2006
stupidjeep said:

its a '94 and it is compleetly bone stock dealer maintained i just got it. This distributer idea sounds resonable what do i do to fix it or see if thats it. Also this would make sense because when i crank it to restart it takes a couple min to start back up.

SkeeZRoverXD

Aug 2, 2006
Big Stone Gap, VA
I've also heard if you do a lot of deep wading (i.e. headlights and over) you should upgrade the axle breathers along with the diffs...not sure if this is necessary but it sounds viable

Springsroverfamily

Sep 23, 2005
Colorado Springs Co
I speak from personal experience chest high water crossing between hacket and longwater in Colorado. If you dont add the extensions and go throught deep water crossings you will be changing your diff oil trany fluid and transfer case fluid several times before you get all of the water out. Usually if you keep moving than the water wont intrude into these areas but remember wherever oil leaks water can enter.

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
The limits are more on the driver than the vehicle. I off roaded with a stock d1 for 60000 miles collected a few rear quarter bangs and then lifted it.

In some ways I miss the challenge of the stock vehicle. Nothing like being on your own to encourage careful thinking.

KngTgr

May 20, 2005
Fairfax, VA
I admit it was pretty dumb to attemp that crossing, spent a couple of hours trying to trubleshoot it, and had to leave it at Walter's house for a few days until it dried up and started again, I have learned my lesson, and will not be atempting that again...I think...
So Stock Discos are very very capable

Scuba1.JPG

scuba2.JPG

Last edited: