Waterproofing the RR

luvs2getmuddy

Oct 1, 2006
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Ok folks, I am new around the Rovers, but have been wheeling Jeeps(Ya I know, I'm stupid) and have the basics narrowed down, but have some questions.

Ok, so I spent 30 minutes reading through a bunch of threads I found here on Disco, problem is, MOST OF THEM ARE talking about DISCOVERIES!! Aghhh..

I have bought the material for a snorkel.
3" Flex pipe, 2 1/2 PVC and 2 1/2 breather cap. That is all in the plan.
I will be going out with Water resistant grease and will be liberally applying it to all bare connections I can see in the engine bay. Coil, etc.
I read about applying silicone to the wire cap. Ok, should I use a specific type, or will any do?

Now, in terms of computers and such. WHERE are they? I found something that looks like a computer under the passenger seat, what is that? Do I need to water proof it?
Where else do I need apply grease, or water proof? Where is the engine computer?

I am not worried about water going inside as all carpets have been removed, and tub treated, and drain plugs and such installed.

Thanks soo much.

Terry
1990 RRC SWB

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
luvs2getmuddy said:
Now, in terms of computers and such. WHERE are they? I found something that looks like a computer under the passenger seat, what is that? Do I need to water proof it?
Where else do I need apply grease, or water proof? Where is the engine computer?

I am not worried about water going inside as all carpets have been removed, and tub treated, and drain plugs and such installed.

the computers are under the seats, I think the main ecu is under the passenger (right) side. There's one under the drivers (left) seat, forget what it is. may be ABS or alarm stuff. There's also a bunch of relays under the center console storage bin.

Check the firewall for holes. On mine most of the rubber grommets had fallen apart.

luvs2getmuddy

Oct 1, 2006
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Ok, excellent, thank you. I am currently in the process of making sure all holes in the firewall are looked after as per az_max.
Now, I was thinking of this:
Fill all the cracks betrween the plastic covers and the actual floor under the seats with silicone, that should keep it relatively dry me thinks.
Also, I will look at possibly using bags to wrap them up in just as a safet precaution. I don't plan on getting water inside if I can help it, but one always has to be prepared.

Any other suggestions or recommendations with rgards to this?

A

AKRover

In my 95 the EAS computer is under the passenger seat, ABS is under the drivers seat, and the EFI computer is in the passenger pick panel. As for waterproofing them I haven't tried. Condensation may become a problem if they are sealed in plastic bags.

Oliver

Sep 20, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'd be careful using the silicone around the plastic base of the seat. Once water goes inside there, you'll have a rust factory. I'd just take that plastic off. All it does is make it look nice.

RRC Rookie

Sep 28, 2006
Ohio
When guys relocate all of this computer stuff to "the dash", I assume that they are finding a spot up and under the dash?? If so where are they placing this stuff? I had read that the cables are long enough but is there a problem with them being in the way?? Sorry to hi-jack but found your post very useful.

RRC Rookie

Sep 28, 2006
Ohio
Did you do anything special to prevent water from coming in through the bottem of the doors?

RRC Rookie

Sep 28, 2006
Ohio
I checked on mine and they look pretty good. I did happen to go into a little water at the local river. Had water just barely above the bottem door jam. No water came in but it was in that little lip at the bottem. Plus I didn't really go in deep enough where their would be "pressure" trying to force water in. Let me know if you come up with anything. When you removed your carpet, what did you treat the floors with? I had read where guys use bedliner but was afraid that it would omit fumes from the exhaust heat.

luvs2getmuddy

Oct 1, 2006
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Yes, I removed all the carpets, grinded all the surface rust off and treated the floors with "Rust Check or rust Killer" or something like that.
Then I tucked the wiring and such(not much), and then used duplicolor Bedliner from Canadian Tire(its like pep boys and such). They are about 10$ a can, and I used about 2, applying really liberally in coats.
Once dried it is pretty tough. Haven't been able to scratch, but I use rubber mats. Also, I haven't noticed too much excessive heat entering the cabin, any exhaust funes for that matter. Noise was slightly increased though.