simple ?...wiper blades

R

r0sport

just discovered that a carwash over the weekend ripped my wiper blades:(
..so what brand would be a good refill?

echo63

May 4, 2004
Menlo Park, CA
Just out of curiosity, is there an aftermarket wiper refills (inserts?) that would fit Disco II wipers? If so, what brand? What size? Thanks.

D

Disco Mike

No body makes refills for a D2 except Rover. The only other option is to buy D1 wiper arms and then use D1 replacement that can be purchased anywhere.
Mike J.

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
RangeRoverHP said:

I live in the PNW and have had a poor experience with the silblades. Am I the exception or the norm? I have D1 arms with winter silblades on a D2. I live in Washington State where we see a tremendous amount of rain west of the Cascades and frozen rain/snow in the Cascades.

The problem with the blades is that they wipe water for all but the top 5% of the blade when going left. Then, when they reverse and come back the other direction they pull some of the just wiped water along with them. When going over a mountain pass this will result in water freezing to your windshield in the path of the wiper blade. This will further lift the blade off the windshield causing more water to get in the path until the windshield is essentially solid ice. If you keep the defroster heat cranked, you can usually get it to wipe big swaths of ice of occasionally, but the best defense is a clean wipe to begin with. I am going back to my land rover d2 arms and factory blades.

--Craig

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I've been bending and crimping blades on my DII for as long as I've owned it. Factory blades suck. I have not, however, decided between silicone and Teflon. Either way, just buy what you like, and dissassemble.

Cheers,

Kennith

R

r0sport

Kennith,

I see that Genuine Land Rover blades are my only choice for replacement...which are too expensive for how fast they deteriorate. What blades exactly are you buying then bending and crimping so I can follow your setup? My Discovery is an 03.

Thanks

Last edited:

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Go down to Advance Auto Parts and look for the Bosch Micro Edge XL wiper blades about 20 inches. Get a pair. You can also look for blades using teflon, they are good as well. There are many different brands out there, but blades using silicone rubber and/or teflon are my favorites.

Then you just detatch the rubber and the stiffening spring, on the new blade and replace the stock rubber with it.

Try it, and if you think it's too much trouble, Expedition Exchange sells a kit that allows you to fit more options. It essentially replaces your wiper arms with Disco I arms.

Cheers,

Kennith

cmoore207

Oct 8, 2004
Takoma Park, MD
Just installed arms from a parted out D1 on my '01 D2. Wow, what an easy and cheap upgrade for the convenvience of being able to replace wiper blades without the hassle of getting those crappy ones from LR. The whole process took all of about 5 minutes, cost $25 for the new arms including shipping.

Windycity_Rover

Dec 4, 2004
Da Windy City
DI Arms are quick

I agree with Craig. Living in Chicago with the salt and cold weather the stock Rover blades don't last. I tried the Siliblade from EE with the DI arms. The Siliblade threw water back on the windshield. I wasn't happy with the blade. I ordered winter blades from Atantic British for a DI and they are great. They beat any DII blade and the siliblade. Now I can pull in anywhere and pick up a set and install them in a snap! :cool:

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
Silblade crow

craig said:
I live in the PNW and have had a poor experience with the silblades. Am I the exception or the norm? I have D1 arms with winter silblades on a D2. I live in Washington State where we see a tremendous amount of rain west of the Cascades and frozen rain/snow in the Cascades.

The problem with the blades is that they wipe water for all but the top 5% of the blade when going left. Then, when they reverse and come back the other direction they pull some of the just wiped water along with them. When going over a mountain pass this will result in water freezing to your windshield in the path of the wiper blade. This will further lift the blade off the windshield causing more water to get in the path until the windshield is essentially solid ice. If you keep the defroster heat cranked, you can usually get it to wipe big swaths of ice of occasionally, but the best defense is a clean wipe to begin with. I am going back to my land rover d2 arms and factory blades.

--Craig

I'm going to eat some crow here. After coming down pretty hard on silblades, and thinking that only guys that live in California like them, I have been won over. Silblades work great in winter.

I went over Snoqualmie Pass from Seattle, WA to Ellensburg, WA last weekend on a snowshoe trip. Before I even started heading up the hour long trip over the pass my brand new Land Rover D2 wiper blades froze and wouldn't wipe a thing. I pulled over and swapped on the D1 arms with the silblades I had in my parts box in the back of the truck and gave it a try. Because the silblades are silicone they didn't freeze up once the entire trip. They still pull a little water onto the windshield on the wipeback (is that a word?) because silicone attracts water, but because the blades never froze I was able to get clean wipes the entire trip. I added the winter package, and the front windscreen defroster (not the blower) in conjunction with anti-freeze wiper fluid was enough to keep anything from freezing up on the windsheild. It was 9 degrees farenheit w/o wind chill during the trip.

The combination of silblades and the windscreen defroster worked fantastic for me. My truck is primarily for backcountry snowshoe trips. I think I am going to stick with this combination for good.

--Craig

M

mkronmal

Pnw

Last weekend was down right NASTY up here. Today its was clear and 65, weather is crazy in the PNW.

I'm in Poulsbo, WA

LilRascle

May 7, 2007
Kenneth......thanks for the advice. Took about 1 minute for the exchange. Cost...about $11 bucks.

SDD2

May 20, 2006
You can buy used D1 arms from Will Tillery or other guys who sell here for a lot less than EE. It's a cheap and simple mod for something that is supposed to be cheap and simple. The hassle of keeping D2 arms is not worth it ...

kennith said:
Go down to Advance Auto Parts and look for the Bosch Micro Edge XL wiper blades about 20 inches. Get a pair. You can also look for blades using teflon, they are good as well. There are many different brands out there, but blades using silicone rubber and/or teflon are my favorites.

Then you just detatch the rubber and the stiffening spring, on the new blade and replace the stock rubber with it.

Try it, and if you think it's too much trouble, Expedition Exchange sells a kit that allows you to fit more options. It essentially replaces your wiper arms with Disco I arms.

Cheers,

Kennith