Dumb Air Tool Question

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
Ok, this is probably an asinine question, but what is the proper way to go about oiling your pneumatic tools? I do not have an inline oiler and will just add the air tool oil directly to the tool - this can be done, right? Do I just add some drops/squirt of oil into the air inlet, then run the tool a few bursts? Thanks.

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
That is exactly what I do. EE sells a pretty slick little inline oiler for those that don't like to stop and oil. I am tempted to give it a try.

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
Awesome, thanks Curtis. I have thought about an inline oiler myself, but am worried that it may decrease the output power of my compressor (thought I remember someone saying that this is a possibility?)

S

Snwbord24

I just bought a compressor and some basic air tools recently. How often should you be oiling the air tools during use? I just assumed that you should oil them before use and you should be good for the day. Is this correct? Thanks.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
curtis,
i have an in-line oiler you can have
i don't use it
robbie, i find it easier to oil the tool before use with a couple of drops of oil.
the oilers are nice, if you want oil in your air line. there are times, like painting, airing tires, self-cleaning, that i would rather not have oil sprayed through the line.

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Marc - You have a valid point on the oil in the line because I am always using the air gun, etc. While I am running two simultaneous regulated lines, I still like to use the reeled one for reach and the coiled one for speed.

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
snowbrd24, oiling depends on how much you use the tool during the day and how much water you have in the system. I know everyone has a water separator, but I used to work at a Go-Kart track, and we had alot of water in the system due to high humidity. We oiled our air tools every hour or so of use. We would still burn up an air ratchet in about a month.

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
On my air compressor, I plumbed it in such a way that I have a regulator first, then it tee's off. One side has an oiler, and the other side has a filter. The side with the oiler is for the tools, and the side with the filter is for painting, etc. I also have different hoses for each application. Personally, I'm not too crazy about the oilers. I just prefer to put a couple of drops of oil in the tool before I use it.

Also I have found that it's the people who clean their tools constantly that have problems. I like having my snapon tools nice and shiny, but i don't really clean them off after every use. I don't mind having a little of oil on them when they are in the toolbox.

Pugsly

Banned
Apr 20, 2004
www.roverautomotive.com
marc olivares said:
robbie, i find it easier to oil the tool before use with a couple of drops of oil.
the oilers are nice, if you want oil in your air line. there are times, like painting, airing tires, self-cleaning, that i would rather not have oil sprayed through the line.

i have a tiny inline oiler that goes at the end of the air line right in front of the tool - i had the same concerns about oil in the air lines as you. it works really well...