Axle/Diff/CV upgrades

sutton_brian

May 26, 2004
Oakland, CA
Looking to upgrade the 10-splines/diffs/CVs in my 89 and am still relatively new to what the options are. Familiar with what RoverTracks and GBR offer but am wondering if there are any cheaper upgrades?

Can I put in axles/diffs from DIIs? Any recommended CV upgrades?

All thoughts are appreciated.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Mike Smith at ECR has some good information on this topic here http://www.eastcoastrover.com/tablegearing.html

to get a stronger diff., you can purchase one with a locker such as ARB (locker air operated) or Detroit (mechanical type) or a limited slip diff. like a TrueTrak (sp?).

all are much improved over the stock LR diff..

how far you want to go really depends on what you want to do. I ran 10 splines with frt. and rear ARB lockers and with care didn't break anything. the rears were twisted though so I was on borrowed time before they would have broken.

hope this helps. there also should be some info. in the archives here that could help.

Jaime

D

D Chapman

HAHA Brian, Chuck scared you, did'nt he.....

Since you know of GBR and RT, Blueboy more or less sumed it up. At least in the rear, you don't want that limited slip. I'd go DT, but the ARB's are nice. As far as axles, well, just make sure you up-grade to something HD. I have the RT axles, and Jeff and Steve had the GBR stuff.

cptyarderho

Apr 23, 2004
Va
BRian, I scare people sometimes... :D
A lot of my proble had to do with a truck that sat for long periods of time, so lots of my drivetrain bits were pitted and corroded from exposure. I hoe to go the locker route while I replace the rear, but the $$$ are adding up if I go to HD axles as well. Nice driving this weekend BTW... you have the 230?

A

AlanB

Please note that he has an 89 RR therefore no ABS. D1, rovertracks, and GBR HD axles might not fit and you will probably have to replace hubs, etc. to make those fit.

sutton_brian

May 26, 2004
Oakland, CA
Chuck - I had to swap a 230 in to get the truck running. Been thinking about the upgrades since I got the truck in May. Waiting to break something first before replacing so its just a matter of time.

JBailey

Nov 20, 2004
Powhatan, VA
Keep in mind Brain and Chuck to upgrade to the Disco 24 spline stuff you will need the spindles and hubs from a disco as well as the new diff and axles. the 10 spines are a different length. If you are in a pinch I am thinking about selling my 10 spline ARB. It is still new in the box. I also would end up selling my 24 spline HD GBR rear setup with ARB.
I'm considering D60 up dront and Eaton in the rear. Still chasing out the brake issues before I take the plunge.

sutton_brian

May 26, 2004
Oakland, CA
John - Definitely intrested in talking about the rear axle stuff and actually interested in the D60/Eaton thing you got going on as well. Still need a winch first but the axle fixes may not be far behind. Sure I'll see you around soon to talk about this stuff.

cptyarderho

Apr 23, 2004
Va
For those not with us at Devil's Ditch...
I locked up the viscus coupling on the Borg Warner, then-
the rear diff went caflewy, losing all traction in the rear.
It went like this, [D Chapman voice on] "dude, your rear driveshaft is moving but your tires aren't." [voice off] then-
basically plowed into all the rocks with limited front wheel drive and the winch. Seth pulled cable for me for quite a while, then-
smash steering stabilizer and tie rod into big pointy rocks, making them noodle a bit, then-
pulled out the back to drive home 2 hours on my seized tcase.
Man, Ranger Rovers are fun!

I have not pulled anything yet, I just parked it until I figure out my options. Right now I am thinking I will slide a 230 in, replace the rear diff with another stock and use it in that configuration until I get the increased lift and steering issues sorted, then go with lockers and new gears next year.
A few pics for fun http://rivercitytrailrunners.org/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=372

H

HSV Rangie

sutton_brian said:
Looking to upgrade the 10-splines/diffs/CVs in my 89 and am still relatively new to what the options are. Familiar with what RoverTracks and GBR offer but am wondering if there are any cheaper upgrades?

Can I put in axles/diffs from DIIs? Any recommended CV upgrades?

All thoughts are appreciated.

Upgrade.

Fit toy diff centres to rover axle housings. (front must be hipinion.)
Fit 30 spline axles (jacmac Australia)
Fit new longfield chro mo 30/27 spline cv's.

this will handle upto 35-37 inch tyres.
300 hp.

This is what I run. Diff ratio, 4.3.
Michael.

D

D Chapman

JBailey said:
Keep in mind Brain and Chuck to upgrade to the Disco 24 spline stuff you will need the spindles and hubs from a disco as well as the new diff and axles. the 10 spines are a different length. If you are in a pinch I am thinking about selling my 10 spline ARB. It is still new in the box. I also would end up selling my 24 spline HD GBR rear setup with ARB.
I'm considering D60 up dront and Eaton in the rear. Still chasing out the brake issues before I take the plunge.

Are you sure this is the case? I have seen disco axles slide right into a Rangie after converting the diff to 24 spline.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Dan, the 89 has different-style axleshafts. Slightly different length, too - so even later-year 10-spline RRC axleshafts won't fit.

A

AlanB

Breakdown:

87,88,89,92(non county models) are 10-spline no ABS. Will require hub change, etc. to fit 10-spline ABS axles or 24-spline axles with diff change.

90,91,92 county,93-93-1/2 are 10-spline with ABS and 24 spline axles from a D1, Rovertracks, GBR will fit directly as long as you also change to 24 spline diff.

93-1/2,94,95 are 24-spline with ABS and are interchangeable with D1

Please correct me if I have made any mistakes.

cptyarderho

Apr 23, 2004
Va
AlanB said:
Breakdown:

87,88,89,92(non county models) are 10-spline no ABS. Will require hub change, etc. to fit 10-spline ABS axles or 24-spline axles with diff change.

90,91,92 county,93-93-1/2 are 10-spline with ABS and 24 spline axles from a D1, Rovertracks, GBR will fit directly as long as you also change to 24 spline diff.

93-1/2,94,95 are 24-spline with ABS and are interchangeable with D1

Please correct me if I have made any mistakes.
Depends, mine is a 92 county with no ABS... go figure.