Radiator Muff?

H

Hokie_Rover

Has anyone here made, or found for sale, a radiator muff for the D1? I'd rather not use a piece of cardboard, but like the added warmth in the winter months. If none are for sale, does anyone have any experience with making one? I'm assuming canvas will work well, but am not sure where / how to attach it, as there's an unfortunate amount of plastic in the grill.

Thanks,
-Alan

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
Alan,

My question would be why would you need this. I have not had an issue with my '97 not getting warm in the winter at all. Of course if you are just trying to get it to get warm faster, you can just remove the fan during the winter months.

Or you could always add a internal heater into your Disco... Can't remember the name of them off the top of my head, but if I recall correctly it will heat up the vehicle in less then 2 minutes.

As far as a muff goes, yes any canvas should work for this project, most that I have seen are made of naugahyde.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
alan,

these are fairly common in my neck of the woods, in fact i know a guy in Park City that runs one on his D1 during the winter. IIRC he got it through JC whitney and adapted it to his Rover.

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
Never used one up in New England. Lowest temp start -40 deg f
Heat works like a champ. I do recommend though a block heater. Best thing you can do to make your rover happy

H

Hokie_Rover

Don't think a block heater is really needed for me, we only get into the single digits, and starting isn't the issue, it's the cool ride in with an infant in the back. I do have a 30 minute commute, and it's all highway, so that's the reason I prefer the muff. I ran one on the D90, and it made a great difference in the heating capabilities. It's been my experience that at highway speeds, the engine gets so much air across it that it doesn't get toasty warm in the winter time. Marc, I'll check out JC Whitney and see what they've got, thanks. Although the removal of the fan is a similar solution, I like the easy-on, easy-off approach that the muff yields once in place, and I won't be wondering what to do if we get a sudden warm spell and I'm stuck in traffic.

Thanks,
-Alan