Tired of getting slimed

Tom in MD

Apr 20, 2004
Sarasota, USA
What are you guys using to deliver gear oil into your T-Cases ? I've been using this dumb piece or clear plastic tubing that I got at Pep Boys. It screws on to the bottle of gear oil but often comes loose while I'm squeezing the bottle, which is usually above my head at that point. Does anyone make a decnt little manual pump for this task ?

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I use a large 5 gal lid/pump adapter available from almost any auto parts store.

The thing you are using is a POS as are the little leaky pumps to fit the gallon containers. Either get something like this or get used to the slime. This also turns fluid changes into a very quick operation. Get 3 one for oil, gear oil and transmission fluid.

Attachments

• Products2.JPG
    Products2.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 544
B

Brian

I'm Considering Making a Fitting

I currently use a pump like the one pictured (and the same oil as well), but at the end of the hose I have a cheap plastic piece with barbs so the hose will stay put while the oil flows. I am considering fashioning some sort of simple screw-in fitting attached to the end of the hose, but with holes drilled in it. The holes would allow excess gear oil drain out, thus indicating when the component is filled.

Right now it is on the mental drawing board.

Tom in MD

Apr 20, 2004
Sarasota, USA
Good ideas

Thanks Bri and Brian. I went looking for that 5-gal system, but my lame-ass local shops didn't carry it. They did have the 5-gal buckets of that same gear oil. I'll find it eventually. A barbed fitting would be helpful. I was thinking that the tube might pop out while pumping. I guess, if you're coordinated, you can hold the tube in place with one hand, and pump with the other, all while lying on the cool concrete of your garage floor, thinking happy Disco thoughts. :D

D

dent

5 gallon transfer case fuild? How often are you changing your transfer case to warrant a 5 gallon bin?

Tom in MD

Apr 20, 2004
Sarasota, USA
You'd be amazed..

I find myself changing the fluid in the diffs all the time. Especially if I've been through some deep water. Sometimes it's OK, sometimes it's all milky. T-Case less often, but with 130K miles on the clock, I like to know nothing un-natural's going on in there.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
bri

A lot more now that it is trivial to do so.

I do it when I go through deep water as well. In addition to about every other oil change. since the same stuff goes in the diffs, it goes a helluva lot quicker than you think and 5 gallons of 90w is $22.

Randy

Apr 20, 2004
Easton, Pa.
Bri, thanks for the tip on the gear oil pump. I picked one up from Advanced Auto last week and have used it already and love it.

Tom, my advanced auto didn't have it in stock, but I made the kid go to the order book and look for it and sure enough he found it and it was there the next day. It was about $35 or so.

Last edited:
P

Puppy

Obviously you aren't dragging that 5 gal. drum under the truck with you when you fill your T-case, are you? Or is your truck up on jacks when you fill it?

Carl_kps

May 23, 2004
Harpers Ferry, WV
Check out the Tractor Supply Store or a place like that for oil pumps and gear oil in bulk.
I was really impressed with the selection and prices.

GregH

Apr 24, 2004
I use a snap on #YA745A. Works fine for transfer case lube which is tough to reach.

jmonsrvr

Apr 20, 2004
montara, ca & newport beach, ca
musky i checked out the pump and it looks good, but i cant seem to find out here. also the website list everything in uk pounds. anyway i used a shitty 5 dollar pump to change the fluid in the diffs. its what i always use and as always it breaks half way through. still usable but oil everywhere around the pump. anyway i am still looking for the one gallon pumps mentioned.

this one on the site looks good thought. just fill up the resevoir and pump it in.

S

syoung

I use a manual pump from a hobby shop that is intended to pump fuel into radio controlled airplanes. It's small and surprisingly powerful.

DeanBrown3D

Apr 29, 2004
www.discoweb.org
I got this air-powered one:

http://www.macnaught.com/lub/OilPumps/T512_F.html

With a 10' hose and a non-drip gun, its around $400, but worth every penny, especially if you've ever got water in the transmission. Its mounts to a 1" black pipe and sits in a 5 gallon drum next to the vehicle.

There's a much cheaper one (around $70 I think) at harbor freight, also air powered, but delivery on that was several weeks.

Dean

john

For something as infrequent as gear oil changes, I think the Armageddon pumps are overkill. Thom and Greg have the right idea. This is very pleasant to use:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_...d=1544&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

We use one just like the Snap-on one, but ours is from MAC Tools. The MAC one is probably made by the same manufacturer, but it's red and has the MAC logo on the side. Cost is $11 on the MAC truck.