GM power steering pump the best choice?

cdansan

Sep 15, 2008
Northwestern, Vermont
I have searched and read all the threads.

Is the GM pump the best choice?
Is there really anything else without going to hydroboost?

What else needs to be done to the box or ancilliary parts if I do go with a hydroboost type set-up?

I want to do this only once. I need to do it because I have no power steering at all right now.

Thanks, Dan

May 6, 2006
Mtn Home, Idaho
www.cardomain.com
It's a direct bolt in. It's a great choice if you're on a budget and don't want to spend a couple hundred on a pump, as long as you don't mind it being a bit noisier than the OE pump.

Ppaulred96

Jan 18, 2007
Virgina
NAPA
NEP 81-1425
BBH 9811
plus 2 new hose clamps
The NAPA hose has a 90 but you will need to cut to fit. This is an S-10 chev pump

This has been on my truck a number of years no issues - I don't know that I would say it is "better" fix but at the time of the repair it was much cheaper. I do not remember prices at this point. The only difference is the rover pump has an 90 degree bend on the return outlet and the S-10 pump is straight thus causing the need for a hose with a 90 in to make it work or some other mod if you would prefer. Prices may have come down on pumps I do no know but I remeber it was less than half the cost of an exact fit repair at the time.
Best of luck

Ppaulred96

Jan 18, 2007
Virgina
I'd first check with PT or Will on a price of an exact fit rover pump - then I'd call Napa and see what is what. Some folks have said te S-10 pump is better or stronger or more pressure - I cannot verify that. I've personally noticed no performance improvement. I will say the repair is at least as good as OE - I'd decide on price point. A few years ago the OE pump was expensive so the repair for me was motivated by $. The repair works fine and has lasted so I'd decide on price point. I think your cost at NAPA will be right at $100 but I would not go as far to say it is "better" than OE just that I have had no issues.

roverover

Feb 27, 2005
Lancaster PA
www.UsedLandRoverParts.com
There is no comparison.

I was running 34s when I first did it and with the stock pump it was all I could do to turn it in the rocks With the Chevy pump it was a little more than a one finger input

granted the original pump had 150k but it was a great upgrade

Brian N

May 7, 2004
erie, pa
it a great choice! just use a brass barbed 90 n heater hose.works fine is not any louder the stocker that i notice. works great! reports of loud pumps may just be improper installation with restriction in hose.